Finding The Perfect “Tunnel Song”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

We’ve all felt it. You know that one moment when everything falls perfectly into place and a song comes on that you wish you could build a montage to? That’s what I like to call a Tunnel Song.

For those of you who don’t know what I’m referring to, a Tunnel Song refers to a scene in Stephen Chbosky’s “Perks of Being A Wallflower.” Charlie and his friends are driving through a tunnel that leads to the city while a montage song plays (Heroes by David Bowie) that makes them feel “infinite.” Those flawless moments happen rarely in life, but if you find just the right song, sometimes you can re-create it, windows down on your drive home from campus.

My personal Tunnel Song consists of You by The 1975. If you don’t have a Tunnel Song quite yet, I’ve composed a playlist of possible candidates for you. I strongly encourage you to have a listen! You can listen to the Spotify playlist by clicking here

1.     G# by Kitten

2.     Shell Suite by Chad Valley

3.     Superman (Hit The Ground) by The Big Pink

4.     Lover’s Spit by Broken Social Scene

5.     First by Cold War Kids

6.     It’s Not My Fault I’m Happy by Passion Pit

7.     Rollercoaster by Bleachers

8.     Hearts Like Ours by The Naked and Famous

9.     Roman Holiday by Halsey

10. I Am by AWOLNATION

11. Kids by Mikky Ekko

12. Over & Over by Smallpools

13. Play With Fire by Vance Joy

14. My Body by Young the Giant

15. Electric Love by BØRNS

16. High by Young Rising Sons

17. Marching Bands of Manhattan by Death Cab for Cutie

photos from locationshub and playbuzz

Hannah Strader graduated from the University of Kansas in December 2018 with a degree in journalism and creative writing. She has past experience as both a writer and editor for high school and collegiate level newspaper staff and spent the summer of 2017 in London working with Healthista, an online women's health magazine. Her passions include but are not limited to Harry Styles, Taco Bell, witchcraft and books. She has two cats and can recite all the U.S. presidents in order. She's proud to call herself a Her Campus alumni. Formerly the Editor in Chief, Senior Editor, and staff writer at Her Campus KU.