This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Just when I’m feeling down and out, that pink box appears in my mailbox, and I’m struck with a surge of excitement as I rip open the packaging tape to discover what’s inside.

What pink box, you ask? I’m talking about my Birchbox of course.

If you aren’t familiar with Birchbox, it’s a monthly subscription service that delivers great beauty products right to your door. For $10 a month Birchbox will ship out a handful of samples with the occasional bonus item based on your preferences listed on your online profile. I’ve discovered some of my absolute beauty favorites through my Birchbox subscription, and my February haul came with a few hits.

Let’s get started!

Journey by Harvey Prince

Inspired by the exotic flowers and spices picked up across the globe, this perfume sample was light and summery and lived up to its name. There’s definitely notes of sandalwood (one of my absolute favorite fragrances) but it wore off fairly quickly. A full size bottle costs just over fifty dollars on Birchbox’s website. I probably wouldn’t splurge, my one ounce sample was just enough.

Ruby Wing Color Changing Polish

I’m not a huge fan of florescent nail colors so I was a bit bummed by the loud pink, but that’s just a personal preference, and I’ve seen a surge in brighter hues as the season changes. The nail polish itself was high quality and dried very quickly when I applied it to my nails. Only one coat was needed to achieve the color advertised. Unfortunately, I could not for the life of me get the color to CHANGE. What set this nail color apart from any other I’ve gotten from the monthly beauty sampler is the promise of changing from pink to red based on heat. I ran my fingers under hot water and hit ‘em with the blowdryer, but the pink was persistent. Maybe wearing the polish for a day or two will net me better results, but for now, I’ll have to say pass.

Shu Uemura Nourishing Protective Oil for Dry Hair

I loved this product. My hair definitely dries out in the colder months, so I was stoked when I opened my box to find this little gem nestled inside. It did exactly as advertised. After I applied a quarter-sized amount to my wet hair after showering, I was treated to much softer locks, even after blow-drying and straightening. It smells ridiculously good too, which is a definite bonus.

Coola Mineral Sunscreen in Matte Tint

I really wanted to like this! Though I’m spending less time outside these days, I’m still a firm believer in SPF application as a part of my daily routine. Any moisturizer that packs precious SPF points is a friend of mine, but unfortunately this tinted sunscreen did not match my complexion. It’s just a few shades too light, and that’s something I’ve run into with Birchbox before. I filled out my profile on Birchbox online and tried to approximate my skin tone through their questionnaire, but I’ve gotten beauty samples too light and too dark for them to be of any use. It’s a shame, because this seems like a really great product! I wish I could’ve actually put it to use.

Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara

Out of all my samples this month, this is the one I’d most consider purchasing. The mascara went on smoothly and lasted until I washed my face, but what really sold me was the brush. It lengthened and separated my lashes. The brush alone makes this a worthwhile splurge. My favorite, by far.

There you have it folks, Birchbox’s February haul. If you’re interested in a monthly package, boxes can be purchased individually, or in three month, six month, or full year subscriptions. Head over to Birchbox.com to get yours!