This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Name: Emma Norwood

Hometown: Lawrence

Age: 21           

Major: Visual Art Education           

Year: Sophomore

Relationship status: Single

Fun fact about yourself: I have a twin who goes to school in Ohio

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be? Australia

Why’d you choose KU? I chose KU because I have always loved Lawrence and I knew they had a great art education program.

Favorite class you’ve taken at KU so far: Art 133 Fundamentals of Fiber Forms. I loved this class because it helped expand my idea of what art is and what art can be. We also were able to dye our own fabric and design our own quilt.

What are some of your major interests? I enjoy swimming, outdoor activities, camping and hanging out with friends.

If it were a Saturday night, where would we find you? I don’t have a consistent weekend routines, but I typically spend my weekends either hanging out with friends downtown or at the art and design building studying.

What’s the best place to eat in Lawrence? India Palace is definitely one of the best places to eat in Lawrence. I also love the Burger Stand and Zen Zero.

What’s your biggest pet peeve? Slow drivers.

What’s your ideal job? Teaching art to kids or working in some capacity with nonprofit organizations.

Where do you picture yourself in ten years? I would love to move up to the Pacific Northwest, but no matter where I live I can see my self teaching art at a school. I am especially interested in teaching at a Montessori school.

What inspires you? People are the main source of inspiration in my life. I have had several adult role models whose own accomplishments and achievements have inspired me to be a better person.

What is one thing you’re really proud of? I’m really proud of my relationships with my friends and family. I have such a solid support system in every area of my life and it is certainly something I am incredibly thankful for.

Favorite memory you’ve made at KU so far: I don’t know if I can just pick one memory, but a lot of my favorite memories have occurred in my scholarship hall. Scholarship halls are such a unique part of KU and they have given me the chance to branch out in a variety of ways. Basketball games are memorable too. I got the chance to sit front row with my hall when KU clinched the Big 12 tournament title for 10 years in a row.

Plans for the summer: I will be a program assistant for a summer camp. I am super excited to work with some awesome kids and talented counselors this summer. 

(All photos provided by Emma Norwood).