This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Sophomore Emily Ruble is a record-holding rower here at KU. Coaches began recruiting Ruble when she was in high school, where was active in many different activities, like track, basketball, and power-lifting. “I was recruited because of my height and strength,” Ruble, who is 5’9”, said. She has two national titles in power-lifting as well as a record for KU in rowing to prove it.

Besides being a successful student athlete, Emily is in the Unified Early Childhood Education program. Through this program, she will become a licensed teacher and hopes to teach kindergarten in the inner city of Chicago after graduating. “I’ve kind of just always wanted to be a teacher. In high school, I had the opportunity to go to a couple kindergarten classrooms in the district and I just fell in love and haven’t questioned it since.”

Rowing is a year-round sport with competitions around the country, which, in addition to a full class load is enough to keep anyone busy, but Emily tries to stay involved with her church as well, “I try to attend church as regularly as I can.” It was through her church’s mission trips that Emily’s interest in teaching in the inner city was sparked. Traveling to cities including Chicago, Denver and Nashville, Ruble and her youth group worked directly with those living in poverty, including a trip to a food pantry where they packed enough food for a single mother and her family to eat for two weeks in only 45 minutes!

Emily Ruble’s status as a successful student athlete is what makes her a campus celeb, but her commitment to bettering the world is what makes her truly admirable. Set to graduate in the spring semester of 2017, we have two more years to watch her set records and make Lawrence an even better place to live. “I really love Lawrence. I love the community. I think my favorite part about Lawrence is that there are big sidewalks everywhere, not just on campus but all through town and you always see people out walking or running or pushing a stroller. It just makes me so happy to see people out doing that.” Keep an eye out for the upbeat rower with a bright future ahead.

Future teacher who loves coffee, cupcakes, dogs, and Instagram. Spends more than she should at Target but can miraculously justify it every single time.