This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Alright, get out of bed and turn off that depressingly slow playlist, it’s time to rejuvenate and revolutionize your outlook on life. Here are four tips that have been vital in my journey of becoming a happier and healthy person, and are sure to guide you to mental success.

Change your environment

Slugging through a so-called “mundane” life can be exhausting. Trust me, I have had my fair share of boring days. It’s hard for days to vary, especially for college students. We are in this never ending cycle of waking up, studying, and going to sleep. It’s important to switch it up, whether that is your routine or environment, to pull yourself out of the somewhat uninteresting life. 

I recommend starting with small but noticeable adjustments. Start studying at a cozy coffee shop instead of the library, take a different way to class, or listen to a motivational podcast while cleaning. Changing your environment doesn’t always have to be drastic, and little changes can result in a better mood.

Treat yourself

This tip reminds me of the infamous TikTok sound, “where’s my treat, I’ve been a brave little girl.” Let me just cringe real quick, but in all seriousness, the sound has a valid point. It is so important to treat yourself. Maybe it’s taking a break to go on a drive with a friend.  Getting that coffee or gel manicure, or both. Whatever it is, you deserve it! You only live once and in a world where it’s always go,go,go it’s vital to slow down and reward yourself. 

Think it, Believe it, See it

You want to get out of the slump? Have more energy? Conquer that burnout? Well better start believing it because manifestation works! Once you wholeheartedly believe you can do it, change becomes inevitable. 

My favorite way to express my goals and aspirations is through a vision board. I suggest starting with Pinterest. Compile images that reflect how you want to be portrayed. Print it out or set it as your background to constantly remind you of the goals you are aspiring to achieve. Manifesting your way to success is one of the simplest ways to achieve greatness.  

Express gratitude

Gratitude *eyeroll* is essential in living a positive, energized life. It’s that idea that every self help book harps about. As annoying as it might sound, expressing gratitude actually is pretty eye opening. Our minds naturally focus on the negative, so it’s hard to stop and appreciate all the good around us. 

Rewiring your negative minds into this positive state starts with daily practice. I recommend reflecting on your day before bed. Journal about an experience that made you feel good or someone that really made your day special. Although preached about constantly, gratitude is essential to positively reframing your outlook on life. 

Going through a slump isn’t fun, but you can and will get through it. I am confident that implementing these four steps into your routine will have you living your best life in no time. 

I’m a sophomore studying interior architecture at the University of Kansas. I love all things design