Dear People of KU: Sincerely, Brown Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Dear People of KU,

I wish there was consistent facts so I could throw blame into a specific direction with the recent events at KU. But there are no hard facts at the moment. There is a cheerleader who claims her phone was lost in the moment a photo was taken of three men wearing sweaters with the letter K in a row of theee. The photo had the caption “KKK go trump”, insinuating white supremacy and all the violence that comes with it (The KKK is a blatant white supremacist group). 

​All in all I am not surprised by the snapchat. Ignorance, arrogance, and a sense of entitlement is something that no longer surprises me at KU. Many people in the United States have been shaken up since the election and the truth is that so many hate crimes towards marginalized identities have risen. People now feel empowered to state their beliefs. Beliefs thatequate to ideas that white bodies value more than colored bodies, non-gender conforming, trans, and much more.

​I don’t know if the person responsible for this snapchat was the owner of the phone or not. All I know is that it is this incident and much more that is coming. Yes, the University is bringing some sort of repercussion to this student they are investigating but this is more than just one individual. This is about a country in which people arerising and feeling entitled to white supremacy behavior since the election of the new President.

​In very few words, this post did not surprise me. Who is to blame? I don’t know, but I also know that standing in line these men must have had to think something was being captioned in this photo. Ignorance is not an excuse, photos like these cause an impact but to be honest I’m tired of seeing the photo and I’m tired of hearing the mixed explanations. The point is someone took this snapchat,someone is expressing their racist belief that white supremacy is the way to go.

I’m just tired. And I’m tired of being asked how I see it because I’m brown. If you feel a hint that it is wrong, it probably is. Stop dragging people of color who are calling out these racist acts. I and other marginalized identities in this country should not have to peel off our flesh for others to understand that.

Sincerely,

Brown Girl

Jacey Bishop currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief/President of Her Campus KU. In the past, she has served as the Development Director and the Events Director for HCKU, as well as serving as a content contributor for the past three years. Jacey is currently in her final year of study at KU for her Bachelors of Social Work and English, as well as a minor in Communications. She is very active on the KU campus, participating in Student Senate, Multicultural Scholars Program, She's the First, and KU Student Ambassadors. You can contact Jacey at jaceybishop@hercampus.com.