This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Though some women choose to forego them, pads and tampons are almost always a necessity when that time of the month rolls around. I, like many others, have found myself on multiple occasions running through the grocery store aisles searching for pads and tampons. Though they usually provide a sense of relief, for some girls, purchasing tampons can become something much more harmful than helpful.

Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) is something that is often not heard about in the United States but it is a serious life threatening condition. TSS occurs when bacterial infections produce toxins, which are the result of Staphylococcus aureus bacterium. This is something that can occur though skin wounds or surgery but has historically been linked to tampon use. Throughout the years, various tampons have been discontinued; however, rare incidents keep occurring because of tampon use.

Take 13 year old Jemma-Louise Roberts, who ended up dying because of TSS.

Roberts was a competitive swimmer who began to use tampons to be able to train when she was on her period. She was said to have been feeling unwell on a family holiday, and when she was taken to the hospital, she was diagnosed with the winter vomiting bug norovirus.

Her family was told to keep her away from hospitals to avoid other patients to avoid any form of infection. However, after Roberts began to deteriorate, the family took her to the hospital. Upon a second encounter, the family was told that Roberts had Toxic Shock Syndrome. Sadly, it was far too late when the doctors identified the bacterial infection. Roberts died a week later in the hospital of internal brain bleeding.

Jemma-Louise Roberts

Today, Robert’s mother is trying to educate others on this rare bacterial infection. Robert’s mother stated, “My husband had never heard TSS. If one dad reads this and his daughter falls ill, it could save her life.”

Some of the signs of Toxic Shock Syndrome are:

·       a temperature of 38.9°C or above

·       fainting 

·       widespread, flat, red skin rash

·       three or more organs affected by infection

·       infection caused by staphylococcus or streptococcus  

*Provided by NH Sources

Though it may be easy to brush off as a rare occurence, every woman should know and continue to educate themselves about TSS.