Chipotle: The Man Among Boys in the Fast Food Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Chipotle, is one of the quickest and freshest fast food places on the map. It feels like almost anywhere you go there is this gem of a restaurant no more than a twenty minute drive away. Chipotle is applauded and criticized often, as are most fast food chains, but it deserves the praise above all else.

The Set Up

One thing about Chipotle that is there is a very common setup for all of their restaurants. The matching interior designs range from the tables and chairs, and even how they assemble their food. Consistency is key, and the setup of their line provides a quick express to get your food and leave in no more than five to seven minutes.

Freshness

Believe it or not a vast majority of critics attack the fact that this restaurant causes food poisoning. Chipotle has been held accountable in the past, for a number of illnesses that have originated from not properly cleaning lettuce before serving it to consumers. This may be a valid reason to take a few steps back from the restaurant, or maybe reconsider eating there, but I have something to ease your mind: I have had the opportunity to get to know a handful of past and present Chipotle workers in my time, and from my own personal experience they have vigorous procedures for cleaning all of the fresh foods- from lettuce, to peppers, to onions, and more. They do this to ensure what the customers are consuming is safe to eat.

On the other side of the spectrum, Chipotle’s freshness stands out. Last time I checked, McDonalds was not boiling onions or mashing avocados within eyesight of the consumer. The freshness that Chipotle provides often comforts consumers who are striving to incorporate healthy foods in their diets.

Reliability for Food Intolerances/Allergies

The main reason I am writing this post is because Chipotle is my go-to place when it comes to avoiding allergens. As someone who has to remain extra cautious of what goes in my body, I am allergic to all forms of nuts, gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant, and vegan. You can imagine the struggle of finding somewhere to eat that can provide me with food like this, while fulfilling my strict dietary needs. Chipotle has always been extra understanding of this, and constantly ensures that there is no cross contamination of eggs, mustard, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, shellfish, or fish in their food. I know that if you are not someone with food allergies, you would not understand the relief that this provides people with food allergies. To put it in perspective, Chipotle is one of the few (if not the only) fast food places that do use those ingredients in their kitchen at all.

Personal and Friendly Service

In today’s fast food industry, there are tons of restaurants that have horrible customer service. From my experiences, I have always encountered friendly faces at Chipotle. The employees are always looking to help with any questions you may have, as well as offer suggestions if you happen to be wanting to try something new. In addition, if you have specific dietary needs, they’re always accommodating and friendly about doing so.

Vast Options

Lastly, Chipotle offers a very simple, yet diverse menu. Routine is one of the things I seek most in life, and Chipotle keeps it straightforward. You have an option of hard or soft shelled tacos, a burrito, Quesadilla, or a bowl. Yet, with those options then comes the time to pick what goes into your meal. From picking white or brown rice, if you want guacamole (which is my personal favorite part of all of the options!) on top, there is something for everyone, and tons of possible variations!

Overall, between the simple yet delicious options of fresh food and friendly faces, Chipotle is the ideal place if you’re looking for somewhere to get lunch or dinner tonight, tomorrow, and for the rest of your life!

Madeleine is a senior at the University of Kansas double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism. Originally from Omaha, Nebraska, Madeleine spent the last few years of her high school career publishing two books (http://www.lulu.com/shop/m-rheinheimer/project-105/paperback/product-23264977.html + http://www.lulu.com/shop/madeleine-rheinheimer/undefined/paperback/product-22938535.html)  and traveling around the city speaking and sharing with locals. Knowing since the fourth grade that she was destined to be a writer when she grew up, Madeleine enjoys anything that involves creative expression. You can follow her personal blog at: https://illiterateblondes.com