“Off the beaten path” classes also options at KU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Coming to college, I knew I wanted to take the most interesting classes I could. My main goal of each class was to fulfill a requirement. My second goal, and it was very close to being my first, was to take classes on subjects I probably would not learn about after my time at KU.

My first semester, I took Introduction to Slavic Folklore (SLAV 148) for the literature and the arts gen ed (HL) and Kickball (HSES 108). In the following semesters I have taken some interesting classes, all while fulfilling requirements. My friends would take chemistry and biology, while I took Contemporary Astronomy (ASTR 191) for the physical sciences gen ed (NP) and Oceanography (GEOL 302) for the earth sciences gen ed (NE).

I have taken Music of Mexico and the Caribbean (MUSC 337) for my historical studies general requirement (HT) and a computer programming class (EECS 128) for the mathematical sciences gen ed credit (NM). I have also taken self defense for women (HSES 108) and Topics in Cultural Geography: Wine (GEOG 571).

Some of these classes were great and extremely fun, others were very hard and boring. But, that is a chance I am willing to take if I can take a possibly fun class instead of a class that I could have taken in high school and that everyone else takes – like biology or physics.

For those of you under the new “core” requirements these gen eds might not make sense to you. But you also can find interesting, “off the beaten path” classes for your gen eds.

Go to www.classes.ku.edu. Click “more options” to the right. Then click the box that says “And principle/KU core course code.” Then click the gen ed you are looking to fulfill. If you have more than one to fill, look at all of the ones you have left to take and find a class that interests you. If you find a class you love in a gen ed category you have left to take, take it that semester, because it might not be taught again at KU during your time here.

Below is a list of some interesting class choices, in my opinion. If not stated, the class is 3 credit hours.

Feel free to copy and paste a class abbreviation and number listed below into the “(search text)” box on the left of the main classes.ku.edu page for more information on the classes.

ENGL 203 Am. Lit. of the Immigrant Exp (GE11 / GE21 / GE3H / H)

ENGL 203 Cyborgs and Cybernetics (GE11 / GE21 / GE3H / H)

Art 132 Fndamntls Metlsmthg/Jewelry (GE3H)

CLSX 148 Greek and Roman Mythology (GE3H / H / HL / W)

FREN 152 France and the French (AE42 / GE3H / H / HL)

FREN 401 Paris, City of Lights & Legends (AE42 / GE3H / H / HL)

THR 106 Acting I (GE3H / H / HL)

ATMO 220 Unusual Weather (GE11 / GE3N / N / NE)

SLAV 316  Ppl&Cltr Sthestrn Erp Thru Flm (AE42 / GE3H / H / HL)

GEOL 171 Earthquakes &Natural Disasters (GE3N / N / NE)

PSYC 120 Personality (GE3S / S / SI)

SPLH 261 Survey Communication Disorders (GE3S / S / SI)

SW 220 Socl Wrk, Socl Welf&US Society (GE3S / S / SF)

ELPS 250 Education and Society (AE41 / AE51)

FMS 314 Hstry Afrc-Amer Images in Film (AE41 / H / HL)

HIST 319 History,Women &Diversity in US (AE41 / H)

HIST 353 Indigenous Peoples of North Am (AE41 / H / NW / W)

MUSC 298 Introduction to Jazz (AE41 / H / HT / W)

SOC 160 Social Problms&American Values (AE41 / AE51 / GE11 / S / SF)

SOC 521 Wealth, Power, and Inequality (AE41 / S)

WGSS 327 Perspctv Lsbn,Gay,Bisxl&Trngdr (AE41 / S)

EALC 130 Myth,Legend&Flk Beliefs E Asia (AE42 / H / NW / W)

GERM 124 German Cinema in Context (AE42 / H / HL)

PHSX 594 Cosmology and Culture (AE42 / N)

REES 220 Societies & Cultures of Eurasia (AE42 / NW / S)

ABSC 310 Building Healthy Communities (AE51 / S / SF)

AAAS 320 African Studies In: Topic: Modern&Contemporary Afrcn Art  (AE42 / H / NW / W)

Under LA&S (liberal arts and science classes) you can take classes at Haskell Indian Nations University. I am sure there are other great class options out there; all you have to do is a little research on KU’s website.  

Photo: map of Haskell Indian Nations University, Lawrence, Kan. 

Next time you look at classes, look at the “off the beaten path” classes along with the more common ones. Pick the classes you want to take, not ones just because everyone else is taking them.

Meredith is a senior at the University of Kansas. She is majoring in Journalism and wants to be a foreign correspondent one day.