photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
Wellness > Mental Health

Be a “Yes Man”: What I Learned From My Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Oh my gosh, I didn’t believe them when they said it, but it’s true. Your first year of college goes by so fast. Before you know it, you’ll be that much closer to becoming an adult (gross). During this past year one thing became very apparent to me and it truly helped me be successful.

Yes, I could tell you to never be afraid to ask for help and to never skip class, but you’ll be told that a thousand times. My piece of advice is for all aspects of college; class and social life. Always say yes. I don’t mean be a pushover and let others tell you what to do, but if an opportunity arises, don’t think too much and try it. 

Image credit

College for most of us is the first time that we are stepping out on our own. So, what does that really mean? You are now, for the first time, completely responsible for yourself. If you don’t get your work done it’s your fault, if you aren’t making new friends that’s on you. Your mom isn’t going to be there to set up play dates for you anymore, but don’t be afraid of this.

It took me a while to accept that I needed to be independent for a while. If I had to go somewhere alone, then so be it. I wasn’t going to let something pass me by. I’ve made some great friends and see things that I never imagined I would see, because I was open to new things and wasn’t afraid to say yes to a new opportunity.

Image credit

Take college head on. If a club sounds cool, go to a meeting. If there’s a person that you think is nice, ask them to hang out. If something is happening on campus, go check it out. Be a “yes man” and try everything. You only have this time of your life once and you don’t want to waste it.