This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Today, it is hard not to think about the impending climate crisis. It is constantly in politics and ingrained in our livelihoods. One of the main culprits of the increasing earth temperature is carbon dioxide emissions. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 2020 greenhouse gas emissions totaled 13.2 trillion pounds. The effects of climate change are serious and diverse. Because of the increasing temperature, many habitats are being destroyed and animals are dying. Weather is also become much more extreme which effects human safety and wellbeing.

Because of the seriousness of climate change, we must act in order to change the trajectory of our world. One way we can do this is by practicing sustainably and being conscientious of the effects of our consumption. Even though individual sustainability is one way in which we can start to care for the Earth, as college students it can be hard to adapt to that lifestyle. Dorm life often means living off of to-go boxes and plastic forks. Being mindful of one’s consumption can be a lot harder to put into practice. Many common college practices create excess waste, so by participating, people are implicitly contributing to the problem. Many times, the quickest and easiest option for university students isn’t always the most planet friendly.  

Even though sustainability as a college student can be challenging it is not impossible! One easy way to take action is to avoid driving alone. If it is a nice day, and your destination isn’t too far away, go out and enjoy nature. Walking, or riding a bike to class not only reduces CO2 emissions but it is also a good form of exercise. Being out in the warm weather can also improve your mood and get you in the right mindset to tackle your course load. According to a study conducted by the University of Oxford, by choosing a bike instead of a car once a day a person can reduce their transportation- related emissions by 67%.  Another thing that you can do is wash your clothes in cold water and use reusable dryer sheets. By changing your washing routine, you can save money and help the environment. You reduce waste and lower costs. Another way to be sustainable in the laundry room is by not washing certain clothing items after every wear. Some things, like jeans, can be worn several times before they need to be washed. This way you can avoid running so many loads and using excess water and energy.

In recent years, thrifting and upcycling have become popular among college aged students. While this is an amazing way to find vintage items and rare knickknacks, it’s also extremely sustainable.  By thrifting, you save money, but you are also reducing the environmental effects of purchasing new items. There is no additional energy used to create the item or to have it transported to a warehouse before it can be delivered to a store. It is also important to sell or donate clothing items and furniture that you don’t use anymore. Even if there is something in your house that you don’t want, there is probably someone who does. Instead of throwing it away and contributing to the creation of another landfill, allow someone else to enjoy it.  Landfills can contribute to smog and can create pollution in soil and water sources. By actively sharing you not only get fun new items or find new homes for some of your old things, but you help cut down on your trash consumption and make the planet healthier.

Climate change is not going away. It has been here for decades, and it cannot be ignored. I used to think that the climate crisis was such a large issue and that nothing I did would contribute to reversing its effects. Learning ways that I can be sustainable has completely changed my outlook. I realize that even the smallest impacts can help create change and by doing my part I am helping our planet, even if it doesn’t immediately feel like it. Even if you change one thing about your lifestyle to contribute to renewability you are creating a pathway for a better future.

Hi! My name is Major Copeland. I'm a junior studying psychology with a minor in English on the pre-med track. Some of my favorite things to do are read fantasy novels and journal.