This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

All right, so if you guys have read my stories before, more often than not you have noticed that I like lists. A lot. And I really appreciate the number five. So here I am again, giving you a list of five ways you can avoid breaking down when it comes to midterms.

1. Avoid all distractions

I have been known to stop in the middle of a huge midterm paper and get stuck for two hours on Pinterest. It’s so hard to focus when you are thinking about what is happening on Facebook or Twitter. So, avoid them at all costs. Usually during midterms when I am trying to focus, I turn on this really cool computer app for Mac computers (sorry Windows) called “Self-control.” You can block all websites that you think you will find distracting. It’s the absolute best thing since sliced bread, really.

2. Get enough sleep

I have heard so many horror stories from people where they were so tired that they slept through their alarm and missed their midterm exam. Yikes! So, make sure to at least get as much rest as you can. For college students, this seems almost impossible, I know. But I have found this really cool trick actually works: if you are going to pull an all-nighter, get at least 20 minutes of sleep before your exam starts, those 20 minutes are said you reset your brain. But, use it in moderation!

You probably don’t want to end up like him during midterms! 

3. Set a method to the madness

So, most students know that studying is the most important thing to do during midterms, but last semester, I found myself struggling to know what to study. I recommend making one flashcard for each class, pretending that you get to take it to the exam with you. It will help you focus on certain things that you know you will need for your exam. If you aren’t a big writer and more of a typer, like me, use a website like Quizlet (www.quizlet.com), where you can create a free account and make flashcards that you can study while it tracks all your progress, boo-yah.

4. Use music

Another huge study tip that most people will give you is study while playing music. But not the kind of stuff with words, even though it may seem like a good idea. Studies show that studying with classical music actually improves your focus and relaxes you without making you sleepy. Who knew? You can usually find these types of music on YouTube too, just search “study music”!

Use a pair of sound canceling headphones (like these) to get a greater focus!  

5. Break it up

I swear by this tip, so this is all my own, not from my Pinterest board! But, taking breaks is actually one of the only things that really helps me study.  I get distracted easily, you know, like the dog from “Up” kind of distracted. So I try to take breaks every hour and if I get uber-duber distracted, every half hour. But, split up your time how you think it is best and you are golden!

Okay, ladies, I’m wishing you all luck on midterms for this semester. May we all be able to keep our GPAs. 

Shelby is a senior here at KU. As well as being the Admin Director for Her Campus KU and a Chapter Advisor, she is involved in Student Senate and Alpha Delta Pi. Her obsession with Chipotle is never ending and she can make a mean chocolate chip cookie. Follow her on Twitter @shelsncheese and Instagram @shelbyostrom_