Wellness

5 Reasons to Wake Up, the Earlier the Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

How often do you plan to wake up super early and do your skincare routine, makeup, maybe workout, but then end up hitting snooze? The extra sleep is probably worth it, right?

Recently, I’ve been waking up around 6 AM, something I never thought possible as a chronic over-sleeper. I’ve seen those TikToks with the “That Girl” morning routines, which were inspiring, but never quite enough to get me up before 8 AM. Then, I moved to college. I was shocked how I could have so much “free time” but really none at all. You can have so much time in your day, but only if you start it off right. 

Here are the 5 benefits I’ve experienced from waking up just 2 hours earlier:

Mood

Having the early hours of the day to yourself puts you in a better headspace. Whether you spend the morning journaling, getting ready, or just listening to a podcast, you’ll already feel a sense of accomplishment. A lot of students feel pressure to be ultra productive, feeling like doing “nothing” is a waste. By incorporating a time to literally do nothing, you allow yourself time to pause and recharge. Ironically, I notice myself feeling much more energized from an early morning than a day sleeping in. Being in this recharged state, you’ll be more likely to truly connect with people and allow yourself to live in the moment.

Breakfast

Waking up late almost always means little to no breakfast. Having a granola bar as you run to class is just really not it. There is nothing wrong with a quick meal, but sitting down to eat something that you put some energy into is so much more rewarding. Waking up early allows you to take the time to choose what you eat. Having a substantial breakfast, preferably high in protein, will not only help boost your energy but keep you going throughout the day.

Self-Care

Looking better almost always makes me feel better. Having extra time in the morning allows you to do everything you need to feel your best. An extra effort to fix your hair, try some new makeup, or pick an outfit you love can really make the biggest difference in how you feel the rest of the day. With that extra cushion of time in the morning, you’ll likely be more satisfied and confident with your look.

Planning

It is so easy to wake up and simply follow the agenda you’re given. Go to class, eat lunch, go to clubs, etc. When you set aside time in the morning to schedule your day, it allows you to consciously allow time for the things that are important to you. Rather than mindlessly following a set routine, you can set aside part of your day to work on something you are genuinely passionate about. Getting wrapped up in the everyday tasks is almost unavoidable. However, having a plan for the day allows you to take back control of your time and escape a monotonous routine.

Mindfulness

Most importantly, those couple of extra hours in the morning give you perspective. Scrambling to get out of bed, it’s easy to forget why you are in a rush in the first place. Do you enjoy what you are going to do today? Is today going to be a step towards your long-term goals? We often set our goals out far in the future and assume that the days in between will work themselves out. If you aren’t mindful of how you spend each day, time will continue to pass and the goals will continue to remain up in the future somewhere. When you wake up and look at your day as an opportunity, rather than just another filler, you’ll feel like you’re truly in control of your life and where you take it.

Natalia Headley is a first-year writer for Her Campus at the University of Kansas. She covers topics that interest her and includes a wide variety of subjects. She is particularly interested in health and wellness, as well as current events. Beyond Her Campus, Natalia has worked as a writer and photographer for her high school yearbook team. This included interviewing students and recording unique stories about their hobbies and experiences. She also was a part of the Spanish National Honor Society, debate club, and tennis team. She is currently a freshman at the University of Kansas, majoring in Human Biology with a minor in Spanish. Natalia is from Lenexa, KS. In her free time, Natalia enjoys pilates, playing tennis, and trying new coffee shops and sushi restaurants. She loves to travel and is working on becoming fluent in Spanish. She is always listening to a podcast or new music and has a single playlist of over 1,000 liked songs!