Style

What Instagram Fashion Aesthetic Are You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Krea chapter.

Today, fashion aesthetics are one of the most common classifications people make and identify with. There are many aesthetics like academia, kidcore, baddie, normcore and so on. Let’s take a look at some of the most sought-after trends and aesthetics that you will probably come across while through your Instagram explore page. 

Soft Girl Aesthetic

This one is also popularly known as the softcore aesthetic and generally comprises pastels and extremely “cutesy” prints like small flowers, pastel plaids and tie-dyes. The overall vibe of the outfits is extremely romantic with pink and purple undertones. The outfits can be taken up a notch with accessories such as barrettes, hairpins, and scrunchies that go with a classic slicked back double ponytail. Go for tennis skirts and buttoned-up, pastel cropped cardigans to pull-off the ultimate softcore look. While skirts are a go-to for this look, flared jeans or bell bottoms will also do justice to it. Top this off with a plaid sweater or vest for a complete outfit! 

Indie Aesthetic 

The indie aesthetic is one that allows your true self to shine through your outfits and fashion! Dressing Indie is very broad, and it gives you a lot of freedom to experiment. A big part of creating this look is wearing bold, handmade jewelry pieces; current trends also include polymer clay rings and handmade flower necklaces. There are two main camps of Indie — the original and the indie kid. The original might be considered alternative by some, whereas the indie kid underwent a modern resurgence due to TikTok’s fashion audience. The latter features big sweaters, bright colors, small tops, and flared denim jeans. Converse or Chuck Taylor sneakers are the way to go for this aesthetic. Band t-shirts and oversized merch are also great additions to the Indie wardrobe! 

Grunge Aesthetic 

This one has been around since the late 1980s and some find it quite grimey, dirty and depressing. However, the recent grunge revival has introduced, into the mainstream, some great new looks that you can experiment with. Dark colors — like black, burgundy, midnight blue and brown – are recommended. Oversized t-shirts tucked into dark denim pants, shorts or skirts are a staple look in this wardrobe; complete the look with chunky silver chains along with black and silver grommet belts. Another must-have is ripped jeans and open flannel shirts, paired with t-shirts. While plaid skirts are a great addition to your grunge wardrobe, make sure to go for darker colors and tones. You can also try accessorizing with mesh sleeves or fishnet stockings to add an extra oomph to your look! For makeup, experiment with heavy black graphic eyeliner and blush on the high points of your cheekbone and tip of your nose! 

Cottagecore Aesthetic

Love all things floral, nature and quaint? Then this look is for you. The inspiration for this aesthetic comes from the romanticization of western agricultural life and incorporates flowy dresses, skirts, and flare-sleeved puffy shirts. Go for flowy, long dresses or skirts, and outerwear. Be sure to look out for small floral and plant embroidery on your clothes. The primary color palettes are dusty pastels, off whites and different shades of brown. For this look, let your hair down and add a few tiny flowers – or better yet, use a handmade flower crown! You can also opt for braids to give a more refined look; but don’t forget to use simple, preferably handmade accessories to add a little sparkle to your outfit! 

While these were just a few, there’s always room for more stylish and iconic outfits to shine! The best way to freely experiment is to thrift all your outfits — be it accessories, clothes, or shoes — so it’s affordable and sustainable. Don’t forget to experiment with different fashion aesthetics instead of sticking to just one! 

Hi! I'm Ira. I'm a lover of all things fashion, makeup and dressing up! I also play the sports of powerlifting and weightlifting and I enjoy reading books. You'll definitely find me at the gourmet food section of any grocery store thinking about what I can whip up. I identify as queer and I make sure I advocate for my community. I hope you enjoy my articles!