Life > Experiences

How To Socialise When You Have To Social Distance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Krea chapter.

Do you remember when sending memes to your friends was not the only form of communication? Unfortunately, neither do I. It seems like there aren’t things to talk about anymore and all our friendships have become an endless back and forth of having boring conversations and sending memes. The COVID-19 pandemic has made it difficult for us to see our friends in person, making it harder than ever for us to socialize with each other. Maintaining or even starting friendships during the pandemic can be quite frustrating but here are a few ways through which it can become much easier!

Game with your friends

Hopping onto Discord and playing all sorts of games, from competitive shooters to more calm and entertaining ones, can really help not only in maintaining your friendships but also giving you a good (and well deserved) break from your hectic routine. Gaming with your friends is the perfect way to connect with your friends while having a good time! A few games that you can try out with your friends are Skribbl, Among Us, Psych, Golf with Friends, and Scrabble.  

Talk to new people

You might feel like you don’t have much to talk about to the same people everyday; when this happens, talking to new people will help! Making new friends will almost always lead to exciting conversations. Everyone is anxious about making the first move, but all it takes is one text! We’re all stuck at home and bored. So while it may be daunting to make the first move, it’ll help you connect with new people and make new friends. So don’t worry too much and go message the person you’ve been wanting to! Don’t forget that socializing and meeting new people is an important part of our college lives. Don’t miss out on it just because we’re all at home!

Be innovative!

We all know how boring and bland texting can get. Try to spice up your conversations by trying out different and creative activities together. Maintaining friendships isn’t always about just having conversations! It’s also about spending quality time with each other whether it’s having movie nights, book discussions, online games or working out together. The possibilities are endless!

Join a club

Joining a club is a great way to meet new people and make new friends. The best part of meeting new people in clubs is that you already share a common interest! Clubs generally have meetings once a week with many activities planned. This can help break the ice and even make it easier to socialize with people. Phew!

Take time to yourself

One of the reasons that many people find it hard to maintain their friendships during the pandemic is due to the amount of time we have been spending on our phones and laptops. This can exhaust your social battery and make it harder to hold conversations. Learning to take some time to focus on yourself will make you appreciate the conversations you have with your friends more. Picking up a hobby will not only give you something new to talk about but it’ll also help occupy your mind for a while.

While connecting with others online may not be the most appealing way, it is the best one right now. We all have an inevitable need to be social and to create new friendships, and we shouldn’t let anything get in the way of that. So, if you haven’t yet, now is a great time to pick your phone up and go call someone, new or old, and connect with them! 

Sahil is a second-year student at Krea University Pursuing a Major in Economics and a concentration in Mathematics and Social Studies.