This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Krea chapter.

After having been stuck at home for so long, waking up in the mornings can be really tough, and waking up to a morning class is even more difficult. Back on campus, the crowded coffee corner would have done the job of waking us up just before class. But since the pandemic continues to rage, one has to learn how to be “atma nirbhar” (independent) – especially when it’s about our class participation. So here are some student-friendly, non-gourmet, budget friendly drink ideas that might just help you start your day off. 

Sasta (cheap) Sunrise

Imagine tequila sunrise but without the alcohol! This is my go to drink if I want to have something refreshing in the morning. While there might be various ways to make it, I follow a rather simple 3 step process. First, mix any one citrus fruit juice with orange fruit juice in a 2:3 ratio. Then add a little bit of lemon juice, mix it and pour it into a glass. The last step is a bit tricky and if you get this right, you might just get the perfect color gradient. Once the drink is in the container, tilt it a little bit, and slowly add “RoohAfza” along the walls of the glass. You will notice that the red liquid settles down and eventually gives you the colors of a sunrise. I would not recommend putting any additional sugar in! Be sure to drink it in a transparent container. Having fresh fruit juice like this is good for your health and your Instagram.

Anything with Ginger

Even though ginger has an extremely overpowering flavour, it happens to be the grand old ingredient that has found its way into all our family recipes. Having a strong ginger flavoured drink in the morning feels just like all the efforts (and nagging) your parents put in to wake you up when you were late for school. The best way to embody that effort is to have a strong ginger flavoured tea. Although the internet has some very fancy recipes to make chai (or “chai-tea”, as it is popularly known), I always tend to stick to the way our favourite local chai-stalls make it.

Water, ginger, sugar, stir…

Add Tea-leaves and then let it simmer…

And finally pour in the milk. 

If you are not a chai-fanatic, you could always go for the more mellow ginger and honey tea. While I don’t know much about its other effects, it did wake me up for a 9 am class

Haldi Ka Doodh (Turmeric Milk)

I remember drinking this in the morning before school and before every exam. I don’t know if it actually makes you taller, or stronger, or sharper, but a hot glass of this goes a long way in subduing all those deadline anxieties that you face everyday. This drink is especially good if you are on a diet that requires you to have a heavy breakfast and allows you to have dairy. In the pandemic, I have learnt that the secret ingredient to making good turmeric milk is not love but, honey. So what you need to do is warm a glass of milk and add turmeric powder, cardamom pods, black pepper (if you want), cinnamon powder (if you have it), and ginger (if you like it) and bring it to a low simmer for 3-5 minutes. Then add the honey and you’re all set. Oh yes, you can also serve it with a bit of saffron if you are feeling very generous. The best thing about this drink is that you can play with the flavours by altering the different spices that you are using. This drink is so ingrained in Indian consciousness and is so ‘Indian’ that if it were a social issue, Akshay Kumar would probably make a movie on it. 

These are some of my favorite drinks to give me the energy boost I need for the rest of the day. They are super easy and make use of the simplest ingredients you can find in your kitchen. Try them out and don’t be afraid to play around and add some of your go to ingredients and flavours! 

Hi, I'm Sarthak and I am studying History and Politics at Krea University.
Akshaya is a final year psychology student at Krea who spends a majority of her time thinking of her endless pile of assignments and crying about them. The rest of the time is split between her taking small steps to change the world, doing things she is passionate about (writing and cooking), and in trying to come up with catchy quotes promoting her friends, her belongings, and herself.