This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Nearly two years ago, I decided I needed to search for a new show to watch. I was taking AP Government, and becoming super interested in the workings of our political system and had heard that The West Wing was a great show. So I tried it out. It’s a bit old (the technology is kind of laughable—the computers are huge and they use pagers) and it’s a long show: 7 seasons, each with 22 episodes. It took me almost two years to get through it all (though I’ve taken many breaks in that time to binge watch some other shows). But having just finished it this past week, I have come to the conclusion that it’s a truly amazing show, and really is still super relevant. So here’s why, even though it has been off the air for ten years, you should still watch it.

1.     It’s Incredibly Smart

The writing in this show is simply superb and quite fast-paced. Sometimes, I fall a little behind on all of the public policy issues the characters talk about, but by the end of the episode I always feel smarter. The show covers the whole range of political issues, from conflict in the Middle East to education policy to marriage equality to creating the budget. And despite the characters largely being Democrats, the show often presents multiple sides to an issue that make me consider views I never have before.

2.     But It’s Also Funny

Just because The West Wing covers some serious topics doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of light-hearted moments. There is no lacking of quick-witted humor and snappy one-liners on this show. From physical humor (think one of the characters falling off a treadmill in the first episode) to the comical situations the characters get into, the show is bound to make you laugh.

3.     You Fall in Love With the Characters

The show follows the senior staff that work in the West Wing of the White House during the fictional presidency of Democrat Josiah Bartlet. From CJ, the witty Press Secretary (played by Kenyon grad Alison Janney!) to Leo the wise and dry-humored Chief of Staff, to Donna, the inquisitive and driven secretary for the Deputy Chief of Staff, (and more!) each character is so well done and realistic that you can’t help but fall in love with them. Even some of the Republican characters, such as Arnold Vinnick, the Republican nominee for President in the last season, have likable qualities to them (and make you wish he was the Republican nominee instead of those currently competing in the primaries!)

4.     The Romance is Nuanced and Well Done

Unlike many popular TV shows, The West Wing doesn’t focus a ton on the characters’ private lives—nearly all of the action takes place within the White House or on the campaign trail. However, when there is romance on the show, it is so well done that it makes up for any general lacking of detail about the characters’ private affairs. Plus, the subtle flirting throughout the series is impeccable. And when two of the characters you’ve been waiting to get together finally do in the last season, its so satisfying that you don’t even mind that it took so long.

5.     It’s Still Super Relevant

Heard the news about conservative Justice Antonin Scalia’s death and the ensuing Republican response? The West Wing has a pretty similar episode in its fifth season in which a conservative judge unexpectedly dies and the Democratic White House must fill the seat battling a Republican majority Senate. There are even theories that President Obama should come to a compromise similar to the one the staff of the Bartlet administration come to (check out this article for more details about the theory!). Remember the government shutdown a couple of years ago? Yep, The West Wing has some episodes about that scenario too. And of course we’re all gearing up for the presidential election this fall; season six has many episodes centering on primary and caucus season and how a campaign is run, and season seven largely follows the national campaign for president, both of which are super relevant in the next several months.

6.     It Makes You Feel Better About Our Government

Listening to the politicians campaigning for president today can make one feel pretty pessimistic about the state of our country and our government. Watching The West Wing, on the other hand, will make you feel a lot more positive about America. Of course, it may also make you feel sad that we don’t live in such an idealized world, but compared to popular other political shows like House of Cards or Scandal (both of which are also great!), it inspires a little more faith in our political system.

There you have it, several reasons why The West Wing is still super relevant and a great watch. So, next time you’re looking for an enjoyable and smart show, check out The West Wing! (PS: it’s on Netflix!)  

Image credits: Giphy.com, Tumblr.com

Rebecca is a senior English major and American Studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She is from Alexandria, Virginia and has written for Her Campus since freshman year.