What Your Kenyon Coffee Preference Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Did someone say coffee? I LOVE coffee! Coffee is my comfort food… Or, well, comfort beverage. I usually drink one to two cups every day, and I’m somewhat particular about what I drink, so I usually make my coffee at home.

At Kenyon, there are a lot of different ways to get your morning cup ‘o joe, and your choice speaks to way more than just your taste in coffee. Are you a perfectionist, or a procrastinator? Are you an early riser, or do you get up ten minutes before class? Find out, based on your coffee preferences, below!

Peirce Coffee

Ah, Peirce. The obvious choice, but not the highest quality. As an average Kenyon student, you likely roll out of bed about thirty minutes before your 9:10 class, rush into Peirce to grab a cup of coffee, and hustle on your way. You have several cups throughout the day, grabbing your last cup on your way to the library at 7:00pm.

A Latte from Wiggin

You enjoy the finer things in life, and you’re willing to give of your time and treasure to obtain them. You are impeccably dressed, a fantastic note-taker, and a total perfectionist. You’ve likely taken several shopping trips to Columbus during your Kenyon career, possibly even every semester. You regularly bemoan Kenyon’s ban on scented candles.

Drip Coffee (from a Coffee Maker)

You are conventional and classic. You are a morning person with a highly structured routine that you cannot stand to break. You wake up at 7:03 every morning, you have used the same color-coding system since seventh grade, and the thought of a messy roommate makes you tremble. You never tire of doing the same things every day, and you take comfort in the ordinariness of it. Even if the world around you is completely nuts, at least you have your cup of coffee, right?

French Press

Just like the drip coffee person, you love routine. There’s something oh-so-refreshing about waiting exactly four minutes, pressing down the filter, and voila! Heavenly coffee. However, unlike your drip compatriots, you also have a high value for aesthetics. You are a Pinterest addict with at least three craft projects going at any time, and a cozy, inspired dorm room that you planned out months before moving in.

Pour Over

There’s no denying it; you’re a hipster. Anyone who’s willing to spend that much time, money, and effort for coffee in college is after more than just a great tasting cup. You own at least one floppy brim hat, constantly talk about how much you miss your record player, and live off of Trader Joe’s care packages.

Bookstore Coffee

You live North, and you grab a cup of coffee as you’re running to class. You get up twenty minutes before class, and rely hardcore on that cup of bookstore coffee to get through your first two classes without falling asleep. In life, you tend to procrastinate. You can often be found in Gund Commons at 3 am the night before a paper is due, and you’re nowhere near done. You could benefit from fifteen more minutes in your morning routine, a detailed planner, and a few less cat videos every day.

Keurig

Convenience is king. You write all of your papers exclusively from JSTOR articles so that you don’t have to go through the trouble of ordering physical books or walking to the library in the cold. You may be the only person who actually uses the Reference Desk chat feature. You also have all sorts of organizers in your room that you never use, and you cringe at the thought of walking to Gund to do your laundry.

Starbucks Bottled Fraps

You’re a girly girl. You’re sweet, bubbly, and fashionably dressed. You’ve completed an assignment in a colorful pen more than once, and you have the cutest pencil case anyone in your poetry class has ever seen. Fashion magazines are your guilty pleasure, and you have a thing for Justin Timberlake.

Coffee from the Gambier Deli

You’re up before 8 every morning, even though your first class isn’t until 10. You feel inspired by the sunrise, and thrive on slow, quiet, productive mornings. You are very creative, but also practical. Your sketchbook is filled with the beautiful things you see, and you’re an avid journaler. You know when to slow down and enjoy the little things, but you also know how to get things done. You rarely put work off to the last minute, so when you finish, you can enjoy life without assignments looming.

Black Tea

You’re unconventional, and live to defy stereotypes. That, or you just came back from a semester abroad. Either way, you live for the times when you can sit alone in a comfy chair with tea and a good book. You’re an introvert, a cat person, and a very balanced person. You know yourself well, and you live in a single so that you can manage how much time you spend with others and how much time you spend alone.

Herbal Tea or Hot Chocolate

Clearly, you are a bright-eyed first-year who has not yet fallen victim to the coffee addiction that is contagious at Kenyon, or a very brave soul, sturdy enough to weather late nights and early mornings without the sweet refuge of caffeine. Either way, you are optimistic, a little weary, and overjoyed by any opportunity to sleep in.

(Almost) everybody needs coffee to get by. Whatever your coffee preferences, enjoy this magical substance, and while you’re at it, be sure to get a cute, eco-friendly mug for it!

How do you get your morning coffee? Did I describe you well? Tell me in the comments below!

Image Credits: Wiggin St Instagram, store.starbucks.com

Maggie is a senior (finishing December 2017) at Kenyon College. Her passions include friends, faith, music, books, social justice, good coffee, and Knox County, Ohio. She hopes to become a pastor doing ministry in at-risk and distressed neighborhoods, and dreams of using music to help individuals and communities find healing and wholeness.