Welcome to Your Life: Going to my First Concert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Over the summer, the class of 2020 created a Group Me where we got to know each other, developed early crushes on our fellow babies (By the way, I’m dating mine! Look at that success), and discussed our shared interests and the events that we wanted to attend. At one point over the summer, a girl brought up the Grouplove concert that was happening towards the end of October. I really wanted to go, and I sought out to finagle my way into a friendship with a girl so I could have someone to go with. Well, that didn’t happen, and eventually, I forgot about the concert.

Until September.

Around mid-September, we were hanging out in my friend Gabrielle’s room and my friend Becca inquired “Does anyone want to go to the Grouplove concert with me?” and I yelped, “Yes!” Turns out, when she bought her tickets many moons ago, she bought an extra ticket. I jumped at the chance to go.

I should mention that before Grouplove, I had never been to a proper concert before. I had been to a crappy battle of the bands in Tempe, Arizona and to a classical music concert where Paul Anka came out at the end and sang “My Way.” (True story.) But I’d never been to a proper, indie rock, sing-at-the-top-of-my-lungs and dance-my-ass-off concert.

When we got to the concert, I immediately bought a T-shirt to commemorate the event. It’s a white crew neck shirt with a comic book print featuring a crying woman and a speech bubble that reads “you’re such a big mess and I love you”–– a lyric from Grouplove’s song “Welcome to Your Life.” We found our way to about the middle of the crowd, behind a pack of very tall groupies who have been following around the band for the past six years. We eventually lost them in the crowd, but Becca and I had to peek over their shoulders in order to see the two opening bands: Dilly Dally and Muna.

Dilly Dally was… an experience. The music was awesome; the guitarist and the drummer killed it in particular. However, the lead singer literally just screamed all of their songs and the bassist had her hair shaved in such a weird trying-too-hard-to-be-edgy way that I was distracted the whole time. In addition, at one point, the lead singer introduced a song by moaning into the mic “there’s always at least one girl in the audience on her period tonight…this song goes out to you.” Becca, the two girls behind us, and I were so confused. To makes matters even more confusing, the band then launched into a cover of a rap song. Weird times.

The next band, MUNA, I could see myself listening to. It’s a female trio with great energy and a great lyrical message. They played some really dope new tracks that played on themes of self-respect, accepting others and stopping gun violence. I would definitely recommend MUNA if you are looking for a feel good, feminist band to listen to.

But my body was ready for Grouplove. My feet hurt, my body was sweaty, and my flannel was long gone, wrapped around my waist. When finally the lights went down, the crowd went wild. And when the lights came up on the drummer and then the lead singer, the cheers were deafening.

I cannot describe the absolute euphoria I experienced during the next two-ish hours. I don’t think I realized how great my love for Grouplove was before going to the concert. Like, obviously, my love for them grew after seeing them live, but I knew every single song on their setlist besides two, which I didn’t expect. Also, Christian Zucconi––the lead singer––is the love child of Freddie Mercury and Jack White, plus the only man who can ROCK green hair. (Sorry, Jared Leto.)

The set list was incredible. They opened with “I’m With You” with some crazy incredible lights, and then they moved into “Good Morning”, which will always make you feel good when you’re feeling down. After a few more songs, they played their biggest hit, “Tongue Tied,” and every single person in the room lost it and was singing along like we were all in that iPod Touch commercial from 2011. After experiencing a “Shark Attack”––my favorite Grouplove song to harmonize to––they slowed things down with “Hippy Hill” and “Borderlines and Aliens,” which were the only two songs I hadn’t heard before the concert, but I now listen to “Borderlines and Aliens” on repeat. But, then one of the most insane moments of the concert happened: they played a cover of one of my favorite songs, “Sabotage” by the Beastie Boys. They ended their initial set with the biggest hit from their new album, “Welcome to Your Life.”

But then came the encore.

My favorite Grouplove song is “Colours.” It’s kind of a typical song, but I love the song lyrically. It hadn’t appeared so far in the concert, but the people around assured me that it would happen in the next three songs,the typical length of an encore . But when the third song they played in the encore was “Ways to Go,” I dejectedly accepted that I wouldn’t get to hear them play my favorite song. But then the indie rock gods shined down upon me and they closed the concert with it, and I sang my little heart out, not caring about the lack of voice I would have the next day.

Originally, when I set out to write this article, I had two purposes in mind: 1) discuss how I realized how much better live music is and 2) illuminate how the Grouplove concert reminded me of how much I miss singing. I love singing, but growing up in a fairly competitive theatre community engendered the idea that I wasn’t talented in me. But seeing the love Christian and his partner, Hannah Hooper, have when they sing reminded me of my love.

I was going to record a cover of “Colours” for this article, to thank Grouplove for reigniting my fire for singing. But, as these things tend to go, I can barely talk, let alone sing.

But regardless, thank you, Christian, Hannah, Ryan, Andrew and Daniel for providing me not only with an incredible first concert experience and for evoking a passion in me that I had forgotten. Even though Paul Anka didn’t unexpectedly show up to sing like Sinatra, I couldn’t have asked for better night. You’re such a big mess, but I love you.

Image credits: vimeocdn, Grouplove, MUNA

Mackenna is a senior who loves all things theatrical, a good cup of green tea, good music, good movies, and all the dogs. Oh, and would give up her humanity if given to opportunity to live as a baby bear.