Valentine’s Day Gifts: Kenyon Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Valentine’s Day in college is hard. Valentine’s Day at Kenyon is harder.

There’s the possibility that you and your Valentine attend different schools, so you’ll spend the holiday miles apart. That’s difficult, but so is the predicament you find yourself in if your other half also goes to Kenyon: how are you supposed to find a gift in Gambier? Especially if, like me, you’re a procrastinator and didn’t spend Winter Break combing for presents in an actual city. With a few days left before the big day, you could express ship something here, but there’s always the chance that it might not make it in time.

If you’re scrambling to find something semi-romantic at the Bookstore or the Market, here are some ideas for finding a sweet Valentine for your Valentine — in the middle of nowhere!

Easy DIY

I’ve written articles before about my love of — and lack of ability to create — DIY projects. However, a DIY Valentine’s Day gift is ideal when you’re hunting in rural Ohio: you can get most of the required supplies at Wal-Mart or even the Bookstore, and heartfelt, homemade gifts always score big points. Here are some creative make-it-yourself projects your significant other is sure to enjoy:

For Her (Or Him) — Bath Bombs

There are few things more relaxing than a long, pampering bath. While it may be difficult to take an actual bath in college (let’s face it, dorm bathrooms aren’t ideal) your significant other is sure to enjoy these during trips home. Real bath bombs à la Lush may be difficult to find in Gambier, but all of the ingredients for this recipe can be found at Wal-Mart and just requires a mold for them to set. Find the ingredients and directions here. While you’re there, pick up some candles; they will complete the spa-like experience.

For Him (Or Her) — Wood Coasters

You may be wondering, “When does a college student ever need coasters?” Not often, I will admit, but every Caples suite or apartment could be livened up with a domestic coaster. Plus, they’re adorable and incredibly easy to make, as per this tutorial.

Mugs

I have written about my struggle to paint my own mugs in the past, but I still stand by this idea. Using Sharpies to color on a white mug and then baking the mug at a set temperature is much easier than using paint, and I have used this technique successfully in the past. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t enjoy using mugs, and the personal touch will make these especially special. Pair your mug with tea — potentially stolen from the hot water station at Peirce — for extra points.

These are just a few ideas; there are always staples like scrapbooks or cards. Whatever you make, just be sure you put your heart into it and your partner is sure to love it!

Amazon Prime

With free two-day shipping, you have just enough time for a gift to arrive via every college student’s favorite website, Amazon. Obviously, you know your partner better than I do. So you know their favorite bands, television shows, books, and you can use this information to better search online. However, here are a few fun presents I found on the website:

48-Count Ferrero Rocher Candies

There’s nothing better than chocolate — except when it comes in supersized quantities.

Webkinz Love Frog Limited Edition Release

Take your Valentine back to the sixth grade with this limited edition stuffed relic. Stuffed animals are cliché, so put a nostalgic twist on it with this adorable frog.

There are plenty of cheesy Valentine’s gifts that can be found in Gambier or just a shuttle trip away in Mount Vernon. While I would caution you away from steering towards the basic instead of really thinking about what your partner may want, you can still find plenty of chocolate, oversized stuffed animals, and singing key chains a few minutes from your dorm. Just be careful — the Hill may be running low on cliché gifts the next few days.