books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Turn up in Club Olin! 5 Spotify Playlists to Help You Study

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

If you’re anything like me, most of your life revolves around switching between different Spotify playlists. If you’ve never used Spotify before, it’s an incredible way to discover new music. You can explore thousands of pre-made user and Spotify-owned playlists! Simply choose one to fit your mood and throw yourself into a state of musical euphoria. If you want to get really fancy, put the playlist you’re listening to in ‘Radio’ mode (think Pandora) to discover even more music to add to your music library!

College is hard, but music makes it a little easier!In order to get you through those midterms and term papers, I have compiled my Top 5 playlists to help you breeze through the next few months.

Name: Instrumental Pop

Songs: 619 songs

Length: 38 hrs 3mins

Concentration Level: Deep

Special Mentions: Hold On, We’re Going Home (Originally by Drake) by Piano Tribute Players; If I Ain’t Got You (originally by Alicia Keys) by Smooth Jazz All-Stars anything

Not a fan of classical music, but hate being distracted by lyrics? Never fear! This user-made playlist offers all of your favorite songs in instrumental and orchestral form. Also, if you get time, I highly recommend listening to the rest of Smooth Jazz All-Stars’ music library – they have full cover albums of anyone from The Weeknd to The Beatles.

Name: Alternative R&B

Songs: 46

Length: 2 hrs 56mins

Concentration Level:  Mid – Deep

Special Mentions: Weight in Gold by Gallant; Here by Alessia Cara & Real Life by The Weeknd

This is by far the most listened to playlist in my Spotify library – studying or not. It’s an endless stream of feel-good mellow vibes that are sure to get your creative juices flowing.

Name: Morning Rhythm

Songs: 59

Length: 4 hrs 7mins

Concentration Level: Mid

Special Mentions: 1612 by Vulfpeck; Beautiful Life by James Morrison, & Electric Relaxation – A Tribe Called Quest

Need a little groove while you study? This is the playlist for you. However, don’t be put off by the title; this is a great all-nighter playlist. It has a low enough tempo to keep you focused, but just enough soul to keep you dancing at your desk all-night long.

Name: The President’s Summer Playlist

Songs: 19

Length: 1 hr 29 mins 

Concentration Level: Mid

Special Mentions: Shake It Out by Florence + The Machine; So Much Trouble In The World by Bob Marley & the Wailers & Ain’t Too Proud To be by The Temptations. 

Hey – if it’s good enough for the President of the United States, then it’s good enough for me! Get some presidential inspiration while writing that Poli-Sci paper and listen to a selection of Obama’s favorite hits – hand-picked by the man himself! You can choose to listen to the ‘Day’ playlist – which I’ve featured here – or you can listen to the ‘Night’ playlist. Two different study sessions for one!

Name: Confidence Booster

Songs: 50

Length: 3 hrs 6 mins

Concentration Level: Mid – Low

Special Mentions: Should’ve Been Us by Tori Kelly; Love On Top by Beyoncé & 212 by Azalea Banks & Lazy Jay

Maybe you just need a bit of a mood-booster. Release your inner Beyoncé (there is understandably an alarming amount of Beyoncé on this playlist…) and power through that problem set with 3 hours of pure unadulterated pop.

One thing to note is although Spotify is free, I highly recommend investing in Spotify Premium. Not only is the monthly amount I pay nowhere near as much as I would have paid if I had bought each song individually, I currently have over 2,500 songs saved offline, which essentially turns my phone into an mp3 player. So, next time you’re lacking a bit of inspiration during your next study session, why not try out one of these playlists?

Image sources: Spotify