The Truth About the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

We all heard the cautionary tale about the Freshman 15™ before starting college. It was confirmed by many of my older friends, nodding knowingly and affirming that it is simply a fact of life when your parents are not cooking for you anymore and dining halls have unlimited ice cream access. It was a warning that came from the mouth of every adult I spoke to, one of the common questions I got this past summer.

“Are you excited about college? Have you spoken with your roommate yet? What do you want to major in? Are you worried about the Freshman 15?”

I knew logically it was not important. I tried to get into the mindset that if it happened, I wouldn’t be happy, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world either. But I’ve always been sensitive about my weight. I was the fat kid and even though I have lost weight since I was younger, I will never be really skinny because that is just not the kind of body I have. I’ve learned to accept this and be okay with it but my inner fat kid will always be a part of me, no matter how much self-love I achieve. Because of this, the thought that people would be scrutinizing me when back home on breaks or asking me about my weight made me wildly uncomfortable. Of course, I would sincerely appreciate the concern if it had to do with my health and wellbeing instead of my appearance, but I knew it didn’t.

So I started freshman year set with the goal of maintaining or losing weight. It worked well for a while, when I still had time to work out a lot at the KAC and before stress-eating became a thing. But classes got harder and I found that goal falling to the wayside. I didn’t gain the Freshman 15. Not really. It was more like gaining a few pounds and hating the way I looked so decided only to eat dinner for a few days until I was satisfied that I looked skinny enough. But I never really was. Eating full meals made me feel gross but when I didn’t I was distracted and tired in class, unable to fully concentrate or participate. My weight fluctuated and it was exhausting to think through everything I ate as much as I was. I knew I had to get it under control and find a healthy diet that would be sustainable and make me feel comfortable with myself again. Things aren’t perfect and I still feel guilty sometimes about what I eat but I’m getting to a healthier place mentally.

What I’ve realized is that the Freshman 15 does not matter because I do not owe it to anyone to be skinny. I do not need to prove anything by fervently avoiding weight gain or pretend that by doing so I have achieved something worth acknowledging. Going home for Thanksgiving break should not consist of anxiety over whether I am the best looking version of myself I have ever been because the people who really care about me won’t notice.

Image Credit: Feature, 1, 2

Ali is a 20-year-old junior at Kenyon College and is from New York City. She is a double English and psychology major and a member of Alpha Sigma Tau sorority. Her interests include writing, music, and true crime shows.
Hannah Joan

Kenyon '18

Hannah is one of the Campus Coordinators for Her Campus Kenyon. She is a Buffalo native and plant enthusiast studying English and Women's and Gender Studies as a junior at Kenyon College.