This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I’ve traveled the majority of my life and yet, I’ve never hated anything more than feeling like a tourist. Obviously, it’s inevitable—you can’t visit Washington DC without seeing the Mall or London without riding on the Eye or Cleveland without visiting the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. However, I think there’s something to be said for trying the local (or at least the more unknown) places.

So, that’s my mission, to bring the local flavor of a city to your visit (which arguably should still include all the museums and sightseeing you want). This week, I’m focusing on Oklahoma City, Oklahoma!

1. Visit the Paseo Arts District, where the houses are colorful and the galleries are exquisite! If you can visit on a First Friday, which are hosted by the Paseo Arts Association, which allows you to explore the galleries while eating local cuisine!

2. The Magic Lantern Festival, which is held every October, consists of pumpkin-decorating, costume-making, face-painting and at night, a “costume dance parade,” where the children are led around by professional dancers.  

Photo by Jennifer McCollum

3. The Farmers Public Market, established in 1938, is a huge indoor space where you can buy fresh produce and listen to local bands. Much newer but equally interesting is the Native Roots Market, which is a small grocery focused mostly on spices!

4. Do you love food trucks? Then stop by H & 8th Night Market, where over 300 food trucks gather to serve the cream of the crop as well as promote community involvement!

5. If you’re interested in some retail therapy, head over to Western Avenue for its quirky shops, such as Weldon Jack (part barber shop, part art retailer) and eccentric restaurants, such as Cafe 501 (which has a diverse but cozy menu).

6. Frontier City is a Wild West-themed amusement park that is smack-dab in the middle of the city. It has over fifty rides, including some crazy coasters, and sharp-shooting shows a la Annie Oakley. There’s also White Water Bay, which is a sprawling water park to accommodate those hot Oklahoma summer days.

7. Oklahoma City has its own “Adventure District”—it’s the part of the city that includes the  zoo, science museum, The National Softball Hall of Fame, and the National Cowboy Museum & Western Heritage Museum. It’s the perfect area to visit on a rainy day!

8. Looking to reach new heights? Then try rock climbing inside a grain silo at the Rocktown Climbing Gym! It’s a safe climb, with different levels for whether you’re an expert or a beginner.  

9. Oklahoma City used to be a stopping point along Route 66, which means there are lots of odd landmarks associated with the American Roadtrip. You can drive parts of the route, but even more impressive is the Braum’s Milk Bottle that rests just outside the Asian District of the city.

10. If Oklahoma City was a food, it would be steak. Now each local will probably have his or her own preference about which steak place is best, which cut of steak is best and how to prepare the steak. However, there seems to be a general consensus that Cattlemen’s Steakhouse, in Stockyards City, serves an excellent steak with delicious sides and amazing local beers.

11. Downtown Oklahoma City is lovingly known as Bricktown because the buildings used to be warehouses. Close to riverfront canal rides, Bricktown has a variety of restaurants, bars and is now home to not only the baseball stadium but also the Oklahoma City Thunder arena!        

12. If you’re over 21, check out the Battered Boar Brewing Company, which boasts all-natural yet unique beers, such as the Coconut Cream Stout. It’s one of the smallest commercial breweries in the state, but has a large output!

13. Another Route 66 relic is the Blue Note Lounge, which is a live music lounge and bar that has hosted some of the greats, such as The Flaming Lips. They welcome all genres, serve a wide variety of drinks and have several pool tables so that you can rack ‘em while you tap your toes along to the band!

14. Every year, the Red Earth Museum in Oklahoma City celebrates the Red Earth Native American Cultural Festival, which features Native American dancers and artists to celebrate Native American heritage via ceramics, cultural attire, jewelry and performance art.

15. Although Oklahoma City has no official nickname, many have argued that the nickname should be the “Big Friendly” for the locals’ easy-going nature, general helpfulness and their joie de vivre.

If you love your hometown or have a city you’re particularly familiar with and want to show tourists what the locals love, please contact me at hewittr@kenyon.edu and I’ll happily sit down with you to work out an article that showcases your love for your city.

Image Sources: jenx67.com, climbing.com, travelOK.com

English major, History minor, Diet Coke addict // senior at Kenyon College // Memphis native // please contact hewittr@kenyon.edu for resume & full portfolio