Life > Experiences

Transferring? Here’s How To Survive Your First Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Transferring is not something that new college students intend on when they start their first year. However, as life happens, so does the unexpected, and it can be like you are reliving freshman year over again (I get nightmares just thinking about it).

While it can be exciting to start a new adventure at a new school, it is mostly overwhelmingly scary. A new campus, new academics, professors, finding a social group, getting a layout of the area, and it goes on and on and on.

So as a recently transferred student, here are some pieces of advice that may help your adjustment run a little smoother, because to be frank: transitioning into a new college is not easy.

Stay in the moment (especially during orientation)

I already had to live through a week of first-year orientation, and the thought of having to do another for sophomore year made me want to hide in my dorm until the first day of class. While it is tempting to be a hermit and not put yourself out there, it’s important to calmly take things one step at a time.

Orientation might not be a blast, and it might be full of tons of rules, explanations, class planning, and introductions of “tell me your name, major, and hometown,” but it is actually a really valuable experience. Not only are you able to ask questions to fellow students freely, but it is a smooth initiation before jumping straight into classes.

Social awkwardness will be a bit of the norm for a while, but as you get to know the others in your orientation group, you will start finding a semblance of a place there. Don’t worry about all of the stuff you still need to unpack for your dorm, or if you’ll make friends, or the fact a professor already posted their class syllabus. Everything will come naturally and in the way it’s meant to be. Orientation will probably be one of the few times in the semester where you can relax, chill, and relish in the last throes of summer with no impending deadlines.

Make an Effort!

This applies in all areas of classroom participation, social life, and clubs. If you’re at a smaller college, you may stick out as a new student, especially if you are starting in higher-level courses above the first-year typical level. Contrasting, at a bigger or mid-sized college, you may just be another one in the crowd. Nevertheless, people will be more likely to remember you if you make an effort in conversation beyond the typical formal introduction that you’ve repeated countless times. “Yes, I’m a sophomore transfer from….majoring in blah blah….how about you?” Too many of these conversations don’t really lead anywhere, so make an effort to ask about different things like interests, future goals, or really anything that comes to mind. Maybe this conversation can lead to a lasting relationship! You won’t know until you try.

The same goes for class participation and initial club meetings. Raise your hand! Introduce yourself! Be open and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Professors, peers, and other staff members are there to help, but they won’t know unless you ask! This effort will usually make a good impression to remember you by too.

Don’t stress over academics (at least in the first semester)

So maybe you’re still figuring out what credits are getting transferred over, major declaration, or planning the next 2-3 years of your course load. Remember that it’s okay just to take a breather this semester. You will have time. It’s difficult enough in a new environment, so focus on your roots first.

I’m not saying to totally miss class if you’re not feeling it or to not study for an exam. But if things don’t happen the way that you expect and you end up receiving a lower grade in something than what you anticipated, it’s okay. You need time to adjust and perfection in college just isn’t realistic.

Rather, measure your growth: every perceived ‘failure’ is another reason to enhance yourself. Maybe this is telling you that office hours might be beneficial in bringing up your Microeconomics grade or maybe it is asking you to join a study group. Heck, at the very least you can learn about Khan Academy or Coursera.

In the end, if what you have achieved has not matched your anticipated level of success coming into your new school, give yourself grace. Not a lot of people choose to transfer colleges due to the stress, unfamiliarity, and the idea of ‘starting over’ that comes with the decision. The fact that you have because your previous college probably wasn’t a good fit for you is growth and understanding yourself better. It’s going to take time, so embrace the time you have and let go a bit. College is too short to stress about every little grade in the book. Attend that party. Make experiences. Go to office hours. Adapt to your new environment.

While I’m sure this only scratches the surface of the trials and tribulations when it comes to transferring, make this a rough guide to embracing a new thing. New things are scary, but they can produce some of the most thrilling experiences in our lives. The best thing above all is to take care of you, because you’re jumping into a brand new adventure, into the unknown. The fact you decided to transfer was the first step in your journey to learning how to better take care of yourself! There will be ups and downs, but remember the reasons you decided to transfer. And most importantly: trust yourself and your instinct. Embrace this new experience!

Claire is a member of Kenyon class of '26. She's a transfer planning on majoring in International Studies. When she's not writing she's reading Faulkner, fanfiction, or browsing reddit.