Three Members of Every Group Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

In my experience, Kenyon professors are very big on collaboration over competition between classmates. Even in a competitive class like organic chemistry, we are encouraged to collaborate in class, take-home quizzes, and group projects. In fact, Kenyon loves it so much that I ended up in six semester-long group projects across my classes. This semester, I am responsible for everything between creating a 6th educational video on nicotine to researching a greener chemistry method for Friedel Craft Acylation to creating a public health campaign promoting women’s health resources on campus. Thankfully these projects are all related to my interest in either health or chemistry and I am enjoying each of them. However, all together, they sometimes present a challenge, particularly in time management. Each week I am responsible for six groups’ worth of meetings, many of which meet multiple times throughout the week. In this regard, I have found Google Calendar to be my best friend in keeping track of everything. It even has push notifications that alert me before I need to be somewhere so I don’t forget!

Each group meets to discuss ideas, complete presentations, and meet deadlines. This is where different philosophies between group members can become an issue. Interestingly, I have come to play all of these roles depending on the specific group dynamic. Here are some of the roles that I see groups filling, and have filled myself:

1)The Get it Done Early Group Member

Sometimes, I would prefer to complete the assignment way before the deadline, like when I know an important exam is coming up later in the week or I have a track meet on the weekend. This strategy gives you a lot of control in shaping the overall project, as your group members likely haven’t started. But this can leave you completing a lot of the work by yourself. Balance with your schedule and make sure to discuss this option with your group ahead of time to iron out details ahead of time.

2) The Group Member That Takes Over

Sometimes, when I get nervous about a project, I feel the need to take it over. Sometimes I am the only one that knows what is going on that week and thus it makes sense for me to take charge and delegate tasks to other members. Whatever the reason, taking charge is sometimes the best case scenario for group work. When it makes sense for me to do so, I delegate readily, knowing that sometimes the most efficient way to get something done is to have someone running the show. The key to this role is to remember that your other group members also are accountable for the project and understanding their strengths. It is also important not to get too controlling, because that doesn’t produce a good flow of ideas.

3) The Late and Confused Group Member

We have all been there. You thought the meeting was at 8 but it was really at 7.You show up late running from practice or rehearsal or a lab that ran over. You barely slept the night before, and totally forgot about what the project even is about. If this is the case, as it has been a couple times for me this semester, the main thing you can do is compose yourself. Take a deep breath and while you should try not to be that kid, if it does happen. Settle in and work hard to make up for lost time. Your group members will appreciate your work and your calm at the end of a challenging day. Believe me, we have all been in the exact same position!

These projects have pushed me in ways that I have never experienced, and for that I am thankful. I have become better at communicating, time management, and meeting coordinating. While this project have proved challenging, I find it encouraging to work on such interesting problems with real life applications.   

Image Credit: Feature, 1, 2, 3

I love chemistry, running, and Grey's Anatomy. Still get confused about whether to use who or whom.
Hannah Joan

Kenyon '18

Hannah is one of the Campus Coordinators for Her Campus Kenyon. She is a Buffalo native and plant enthusiast studying English and Women's and Gender Studies as a junior at Kenyon College.