This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Egocentrism. A case that I have learned to grow out because I am realizing not everything is revolved around me (thanks to psychology for teaching me that new word). As I look around me I feel how grateful I am compared to others. When I was little as many other parents would say, “finish your food! Kids in Africa don’t have food.” I felt like growing up my parents would tell me how fortunate I was compared to other people but I would never grip the concepts that I was. I feel that many of us are the same way. Over the past couple of years, I have learned to acknowledge the difference on how privileged I really am.

What does it mean when I say privileged?

I don’t want want it to sound that being privilege means having money, but something smaller than that. For me, it means my family and the town where I grew up. I am lucky that I have two supporting parents that will stop at nothing to provide for my sister and me. They are at times frustrating, but they love me unconditionally.

As you read this, are you asking yourself: is this a thank you note, Katie?

The answer is no. I want you to reflect on your own life and see things that you could be thankful for. Think of this as a public service announcement for you to think about your own life.

On March 24, 2016, Kenyon college had a 6 hours power outage—which was great for my article, but not for the students.

To borrow some lingo from Law and Order Special Victims Unit’s intro: “In the Kenyon social society, no electricity based offenses are considered especially heinous. At Kenyon College, the dedicated Her Campus writers who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the special no electricity unit. These are their stories.” What follow are some of the things I heard throughout campus on that Friday:

“Oh no, my phone is about to die.”

“What should I do with the food in my fridge?”

“My milk is going to expire.”

“What am I going to eat??”

“I can’t take a cold shower.”

“The bathroom is dark, I need to pee in the dark.”

These complaints showed how dependent we are on electricity because it makes our life a lot easier. Electricity is a necessity that is easily forgotten.

How is electricity generated?

“A common method of producing electricity is from generators with an electromagnet—a magnet produced by electricity—not a traditional magnet. The generator has a series of insulated coils of wire that form a stationary cylinder. This cylinder surrounds a rotary electromagnetic shaft. When the electromagnetic shaft rotates, it induces a small electric current in each section of the wire coil. Each section of the wire coil becomes a small, separate electric conductor. The small currents of the individual sections combine to form one large current. This current is the electricity that moves through power lines from generators to consumers.”  

Producing electricity is very confusing but it is one of the most important element in our society. It allows our country to invent the unimaginable. Therefore, it is surprising when I realize that not everyone has electricity. Low-income people have about 25.4% access to electricity versus high-income people have access to 99.8% of electricity.

Electricity is not the only thing that most people around the world do not have, but it is also just one example. Around the world, people are restricted human rights, lack technological advancements, proper shelter, and the list goes on. Therefore, be grateful for what you have because “someone may have it worse than you” (what your mom says when you start giving off reasons why life is unfair).

References: EIA

Image Credit: Featured Image, 1, 2, 3