This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I was recently bedridden from a bout of food poisoning from some questionable Peirce lettuce. While I had to miss two days of classes, I still found my way trotting along on Middle Path on a Saturday night, holding my stomach as it roared louder than the Old K basement we approached. Should I have stayed in bed? Embraced self-care? Perhaps. But I found myself suffering from that singular form of existential dread that plagues every college campus like the Kenyon Krud: the fear of missing out, colloquially known as “FOMO.”

FOMO is that strange amalgam of peer pressure, awareness of the fleetingness of one’s youth, slight alcoholism, etc., that leads us to neglect our wellbeing. And while I haven’t yet overcome FOMO, I have made peace with it through a few mindfulness practices:

1. Keep a journal

I know, I know: everyone and their mother preaches the value of journaling. But I have kept a journal for the past 8 years, and there’s something invaluable about being able to console oneself. The key to avoiding FOMO is not to distract yourself from the pit in your stomach, but to understand what it is and why its irrational in the first place.

1. Do not look at social media

Easier said than done, but crucial for your mental health. So much of FOMO is perpetuated by our tendency to compare ourselves to others. And hear me out: as appealing as that photo of your friend with a sticker over a red Solo cup may seem, that person is not responsible for your life. Perhaps they haven’t gone out in a week or maybe they don’t have any upcoming due dates. Social media does not come with a disclaimer or explanation. As such, we tend to project our own circumstances onto the “perfect” lives of others. It is nearly impossible to avoid comparison, so take away the root cause!

1. Take a hot girl walk

Blare some inspirational music. Go outdoors. Be with yourself. It’s that simple. Endorphins will flow. Not only can a long strut improve your mood, but it can help you stay in the moment. It will keep you looking up, not at your phone.

1. Get ahead on your work

Assuming you are staying in due to reasons other than illness, you can take this opportunity to give your peers FOMO: in the morning, you will be able to go on a run to a cute coffee shop and seize the day while your peers stutter over to the library, fighting a nasty headache and a looming deadline. Doing homework on a Saturday night may seem “lame,” but it sure isn’t lame on a Sunday morning!

5. Treat yourself

Whether it be to some takeout, a Netflix binge or indulgent beverage, self-gifts are the best! How many times have you found yourself thinking, “If only I had time…” Well, you do! It’s just a matter of priorities, and you deserve to come first.

I challenge you stay in at least one weekend night, to learn to enjoy your own company. Next time you’re wondering whether or not you’re really enjoying company, realize that it’s okay not to. Perhaps what we are truly missing out on is ourselves.

Sophia Boyd

Kenyon '26

Sophia is a first-year student at Kenyon College, originally and ashamedly from Florida. She is a lover of all things pumpkin flavored, Bob Dylan, and vegan. In her spare time, Sophia can be found on a pensive "hot girl walk," procrastinating with friends, or with her nose deep in a Susan Sontag essay.