This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

School is back in session and, with the return of students to campus, it’s no mystery that some friendships may feel a little foreign.

Remember how much you liked Sarah from poli-sci but now you’re realizing neither one of you kept in touch over the summer like you said you would? Well, she’s probably feeling a little awkward too! Reaching out might seem daunting, but my goal is to help you gather some tips and tricks to rekindle your friendship this fall.

Option 1: Grab a meal!

Oftentimes, the lines at your school’s dining hall are long (and, let’s face it, boring). Offering to grab a meal with someone you know or inviting them to join you during mealtime can be a great way to break the ice. If you have a favorite dining hall or room that the two of you frequented last semester, being in that familiar space might allow you to settle into your relationship while regaining a sense of ease with the campus around you.

Option 2: Go on a hike/walk!

Venture into the great outdoors by going on a walk or hike. While nature might be more abundant if your college/university is in a more rural environment, getting your bodies up and moving no matter your surroundings can really help to not only spend quality time with your friend, but will help you to create a sense of balance between your work/educational time and your leisure time.

It’s important to keep in mind that venturing too far off the beaten path (ie. being completely remote) can be difficult for some, so make sure that you are aware of each other’s level of comfort when taking a stroll in nature.

Option 3: Plan a movie night!

A movie night is a classic, tried-and-true bonding experience! That being said, I’d recommend picking a movie you’ve both seen before so you won’t mind talking over it (if you’re a movie-talker like my friends and I are). My personal favorites for movie nights include Booksmart (2019), Knives Out (2019), and Little Women (2019).

Option 4: Go to a party/all-campus event (safely!)

In my humble opinion as a college student, some of the best parties on campus happen within the first few months of the academic year. With some clubs or organizations hosting homecoming dances, you and your friend could have a reason to dress up and party until the cows come home. I should note, however, that we are still in the midst of a global health crisis, so partying outside while the weather is still warm and making sure that you are physically and mentally safe and healthy are of the utmost importance!

Option 5: Study!

It’s no secret that college requires taking classes (but if you somehow found a way to get around this, let me know!), so you’re most likely going to be doing homework or studying for exams this upcoming semester. Even if you don’t have overlapping classes, being in the same space and doing your respective work can help the two of you warm up to each other’s presence again.

Option 6: Play a game!

Even if you’re not a game buff, playing a tabletop or video game is something to put on your to-do list for the semester. Board games such as “Unsolved Case Files,” “Rivals for Catan” (the two-player version of “Settlers of Catan”),“Tokaido,” “The Oregon Trail,” or even good, old-fashioned truth-or-dare can serve as a bridge to build back your friendship. 

If you’re looking to play a video game, you really can’t go wrong with any “Mario Kart,” “The Legend of Zelda,” or “Just Dance” (hey, don’t knock it until you try it)!

Option 7: Do a craft!

Crafting is a low-stakes, high-reward activity for all involved. Making collages or coloring in an adult coloring book are two great options to bring down any stress from studying and schoolwork. Learning to knit, crochet, paint, sculpt, or embroider are some activities my friends and I have employed during our hang-outs over the past year, and we can safely say that they’re a little more hands-on but rewarding nonetheless.

Option 8: Just chat!

To get down to brass tax: the beginning of the school year can be stressful for many people and the idea of having to plan an event when you are trying to settle down and re-adjust to campus life may require energy that simply isn’t there. By asking your friend if they’d like to talk, the pressure is pulled off of you both to plan an outing or excursion and get to chatting. This also gives the two of you the option to have a heart-to-heart moment about your communication strategies and possibly discuss where your separation over the summer spurred from. Letting them know your friendship means a lot to you may also help them to feel accepted and at home on campus.

As an FYI, it’s totally okay if you feel your friendship just isn’t meant to be this school year. People grow and change in so many different ways! Heck, you probably did some maturing yourself and, while it would be nice to have a familiar face on campus, it’s important not to force a reconnection if it isn’t meant to be.

Each and every one of us deserves to be supported, and if Sarah from poli-sci isn’t going to be that person, that’s a-okay!

No matter how daunting the social scene may seem during the first few months back on campus, there are so many people who are in the same boat as you, itching to get back to the average normalcy of college. It takes guts to make the first move but you got this, champ! Now go and send that text to poli-sci Sarah. You’ll feel better when you do.

Carlin Steere is a writer and poet at Kenyon College. When she's not on campus, she can be found on the beaches of Connecticut with a notebook in hand.