This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Feeling sad that LGBTQ+ History Month is over? Here are some book recommendations featuring queer characters! Hopefully, this goes out as a reminder that queer stories should always be honored, whether or not it is History of Pride Month in the LGBTQ+ community. Without further ado, let’s proceed to the recommendations!

The Color Purple by Alice Walker 

Considered to be a classic, this book is a must-read. Set over the span of forty years in the early 1900s, this story focuses on the lives of two sisters, Nettie and Celie. Separated at a young age from each other, Celie endures an abusive marriage in the rural South. Meanwhile, Nettie goes on a mission to Africa. Both of these women are forced to deal with racism, sexism, relationships, and survival. While this is not an easy read, the Color Purple sends out a powerful message of perseverance and love. It also has a special place in my heart, as it was the first book I ever read that featured a queer relationship. 

Every Heart A Doorway by Seanan McGuire 

Both creative and whimsical, this book features a boarding school for children who have visited magical lands and are having trouble adjusting back to reality after returning home. Nancy, our protagonist, is a newbie to the school and is searching for a doorway back to her fantasy world. However, as soon as she arrives, students slowly start getting murdered, leaving her and the rest of the children to solve the mystery before it is too late. Featuring both an asexual character and a transgender character, this quirky book is a great, fast read. 

When Katie Met Cassidy 

Katie is a traditional girl from Kentucky who just broke up with her male ex-fiance. Cassidy is a confident, out-and-proud woman with a penchant for partying and hooking up. When the two of them meet during a work negotiation, the events that ensue afterward lead to a light, fun romance featuring the queer scene in New York City.  The banter and chemistry between Katie and Cassidy are delightful, with some heartfelt scenes sprinkled in for good measure. If you are looking for a light read to balance out the college course load, this is the one for you!

Red, White, and Royal Blue 

This book is the epitome of a classic hate to love romance. Of course, throwing in some royal families, presidential scandals, and boys kissing makes it one of the best Young Adult novels that I have read this year. Although this book has been hyped all the way up to heaven, I do believe that this book deserves it. While it is primarily centered on a romance between Alex, the president’s son, and Henry, an English prince, this story also discusses other important issues that affect the social landscape today in the US. This was the kind of book that I read smiling the entire time without realizing I was until I stopped. It’s a great feel-good romance for when you’re feeling down and need some TLC. 

Even though October is over, celebrating queer stories should be a year-round occasion. Hopefully these reads can tide you over for the rest of the semester!

Feature, 1, 2, 34