The Problem with Scientific Elitism on College Campuses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

“It doesn’t count if it’s not a science class.”

“You’re not really majoring in anything important unless it’s STEM.”

“You don’t do any real work!”

If you, like me, are a major in the humanities, fine arts, or social sciences, you’ve probably heard some version of these quotations spewed at you from your natural science major friends. Personally, I hear them on a daily basis.  However, as an English and Political Science double major who is confident in the value of the work I do, I’ve taken to just brushing these comments off. I’m realizing, though, that the harm in these comments runs deeper than the mild irritation I feel whenever I hear them. So, I want to talk a little bit about how dangerous elitism in the sciences is.

I’ve noticed, when talking to my friends majoring in math, economics, or the natural sciences, that they tend to boast about the superiority of their subject matter, going to great lengths to prove that their area of study is more “difficult” and “important” than the humanities. Both explicit and implicit to their arguments is the assertion that science is the sole foundation of the functioning world as we know it.  There is no denying that studying science is vital to life. Modern medicine, infrastructural developments, and advancements in neuropsychological research have allowed for an unprecedentedly comfortable quality of life. However, to claim that science is the only reason for these improvements not only disrespects and patronizes the great artists and humanitarians of the world, but also, it fundamentally devalues and obstructs the abilities of scientists to create and discover to the best of their abilities.

To start, let’s look at how these claims disrespect and patronize those engaged in meaningful artistic and humanistic endeavors. As a survivor of multiple forms of illness and trauma, I truly understand the importance of science to my current existence. However, a life is not made up of mere existence, and the will to live cannot be produced in a textbook or an experiment. Music, art, and literature have always helped me connect to the world on a humanistic level. I know that I would not have the relationships, life experiences, empathy, or dedication that I have today if the arts and humanities had not played an integral role in my life. The fusion of emotion and logic that I bring to help survivors of rape and relationship abuse, the persistence I bring to my quantitative research on violence against women, and the sheer force with which I construct my own will to survive comes from the interpersonal understanding that the humanities has afforded me. And the impact of the arts and social sciences has, of course, not solely influenced me.  Today, in fact, at Kenyon’s honors day assembly, we heard from a former student about his work, in which he reproduces classical plays in formats that help traumatized persons converse and work through their pain. His work, at its core, heals the human soul. To insist on the superiority of STEM endeavors to these healing art forms would be to disrespect the non-bodily needs of the hopeful and the suffering.    

And science needs the arts and humanities too.  Just as the arts and humanities need science to ensure fruitful survival, the sciences need creative communication and high levels of interpersonal understanding in order to spread and expound on existing knowledge.  In fact, the best scientists use these humanities based methods when communicating their findings and lingering questions.  Without these humane bases of communication and understanding, a scientist may be brilliant, but the true depth of their work will never be fully understood.  Additionally, science without humanity is a slippery slope towards the dehumanization of subjects and the privileging of the quantity over quality of life.So, to be clear, science wouldn’t exist without the arts and humanities, and the arts and humanities wouldn’t exist without the sciences. Let’s work to end scientific elitism on college campuses so we can create a more engaging, integrated, and holistic learning environment.

Image Credit: Feature, 1, 2

Hayley is a senior English and Political Science double major at Kenyon College, and an avid napper.  When she's not sleeping, you can usually find her writing and organizing around leftist political campaigns, making music, and/or surrounding herself with animals.