Peircegiving: A Vegan Dessert Taste-Test

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

For weeks, my friends and teammates described Peirce’s greatest feat, Peircegiving, in great detail. Given all of this talk, I was concerned that the event would fail to meet my expectations. Luckily, Peircegiving proved even better than I expected, far surpassing the Halloween “cauldron soup” and “bat wings.”

The best aspect of Peircegiving, in my opinion, was the dessert, more specifically the vegan dessert. Of course, I had to test each type of vegan pie in order to determine the absolute best part of the meal. Below are my opinions in no particular order:

#1 Vegan Pumpkin Pie

This was the first food I ate at Peircegiving, and it was a great way to start off the evening. I am usually not a fan of pumpkin pie, but this one was actually really good! It was slightly less sweet than other pumpkin pie I have tasted, which made the pumpkin flavor stand-out even more. This lead to a deep ponderance of why I have not liked pumpkin pie in the past: is it the texture? The sweetness? Am I usually just too stuffed to notice what I am eating? I have no idea.

#2 Vegan Apple Pie

After two giant plates loaded with mainly dairy free mashed potatoes I did not think I would have it in me to continue the taste test. I was ready to quit until I noticed the vegan apple pie. It was so delicious! The texture was good, the apples were good, it was sweet but not overwhelmingly so—I loved it! This was definitely the best dessert!

#3 Avocado Chocolate Mousse Pie

Three hours later, I am still not sure how I feel about the avocado chocolate mousse pie. It was unlike anything I had ever tried before. The first bite was great but followed by a very strong aftertaste. I do not think my uncultured palate was prepared for such rich flavors. It was kind of overwhelming. My teammates all tried it and seemed to like it, so I guess I’m the odd one out here. I think the most confusing aspect was where the avocado fit into the equation. One person informed me that it is sometimes used as a substitute for butter—that was hard to wrap my head around. Either way, I found a small piece of avocado skin in my slice of pie and it is still unclear whether it was supposed to be there or not. On a more positive note, the crust was still really tasty!

In conclusion, Peircegiving was worth all of the hype as it was by far Peirce’s greatest dinner of the semester. Having so many vegan options that were both appealing and available was a really nice change of pace. Although the food was delicious, the dessert was what really made Peircegiving worth the long lines and congested tables. Vegan dessert is so hard to come by most days in Peirce, as there are only so many rice krispies treats to go around. After Peircegiving, I am prepared to go home for a week full of celebratory eating.

Image Credit: Feature,1,2

Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia.