This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

“KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN TO ALL THE NEEDS YOU SEE AROUND YOU. THEY ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE” – CAITLIN CROSBY

The giving movement all started with a simple hotel key. The Giving Keys founder, Caitlin Crosby, is an actress and singer/songwriter. While on tour she would wear her hotel key around her neck and she got the idea to engrave inspirational words on old, used keys. She realized that all of us are just like them, used and flawed. She wanted the discarded keys to have their purpose renewed again.

She wanted the keys to have meaning, to give back. One day, while she was walking in the streets of Hollywood, she ran into a homeless couple. She decided to invite them to dinner and this is when the light went off. The wife made jewelry and that’s when Caitlin decided to turn the keys into necklaces. She asked them to be her business partners, and they slowly earned enough money to buy a hotel room then an apartment and then a home. This was the very beginning of the company’s desire to help those affected by homelessness.  

The Giving Keys employs people affected by homelessness. They have set people on the path towards success. Many of their employees have earned enough money to transition out of homelessness and now have places of their own.

Each key is engraved with words like strength, love, believe and courage. When one encounters someone who may need the message more than the wearer does then they are encouraged to pass it on and share their “pay it forward” story with The Giving Keys. One can wear the keys in the form of a necklace, bracelet and now a charm.

Caitlin Crosby is an inspiration to all of us. By using the power of simple words engraved on keys she has inspired people all around the world and has helped a number of people transition out of homelessness. Please check out this incredible, giving company based out of L.A.!

Check out their website at http://www.thegivingkeys.com, their Instagram and Facebook page at The Giving Keys and you can watch Caitlin tell her own story in this Youtube video.

Image credits: The Giving Keys