Wellness > Mental Health

My Tips to Survive the Literal Darkest Days of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I’ve always found it rather inconvenient that the days leading up to Winter Solstice, or, quite literally the darkest days of the year, most often line up with finals week. We’re in that final stretch now: the liminal time between Thanksgiving and Winter Break, work piling up, so close and yet so far from that long-awaited break. And it’s really hard. Working overtime for school while the sun sets at a crisp 5pm can be incredibly difficult. So, here are five tips for getting through these (literally) dark days.

1. Don’t listen to sad music.

It’s hard, I know. With so many great options for sadder-sounding music, it can be easy to really sink into those cold, winter vibes. For a couple of weeks, my regular rotation of music consisted of Phoebe Bridgers, Elliot Smith, and Lana Del Rey, who are some of my favorite artists. But, I realized they were kind of bringing me down. So, instead, I started listening to music that boosted my mood. When I wake up, it’s songs that would have played at a dance club in 2009. In the afternoon, it’s cheerful seventies. And, at night, I’ll sprinkle in a cheesy love song or two. Music has a massive influence on our mood, so it’s really important to tailor your listening in a way that will keep you happy and motivated. Save the sad stuff for later.

2. Watch your comfort show as a study break.

There are so many shows circulating in the mainstream media right now, like Wednesday and The White Lotus, but sometimes, it’s best to go back to what you know. In these past few weeks, I’ve been rewatching New Girl when I need a break from studying or to wind down at the end of the day. Not only is it absolutely hilarious, but it reminds me of my sisters. We watched it together over quarantine and it really bonded us. Watching it brings back truly happy memories and makes me feel comforted. Rewatch yours! It’s a great way to relax and unwind.

3. Study with friends.

The only way I’ve been able to get through my studies over the past week was by doing work with friends. We head to our favorite cozy spot in the library and do work together. It makes it so much easier, and, even though we distract each other sometimes, it improves my focus and makes me feel happier. And, we can take breaks together! On shorter breaks we’ll walk around the library, and on longer ones we’ll run out for a quick snack. Difficult things are always made easier with friends by your side.

4. Warm drinks. Always.

Not only does it darker earlier this time of year, but it’s colder, too. That’s why I recommend a warm drink to keep you going. In the mornings, I drink a hot cup of coffee with oat milk. And, at night, I love a good herbal peppermint tea. There really is something for everyone. Alternatively, soup is a great way to stay warm. I love soup.

5. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

These tips are effective for helping my winter blues, but that doesn’t mean they work for everyone. If you’re struggling, like so many of us do this time of year, don’t be afraid to ask for help from friends, family, or professors. Put yourself and your health first. You are not alone!

Ellie Kahle

Kenyon '25

Ellie Kahle is a Libra from Columbus, OH with something to say and a song in her heart. Her interests include Tik Tok, pop culture, reading, drag, theatre, and being gluten-free (by chance, not by choice). She has also invested an astronomical amount of money and time in The Sims. She is an English and Drama double major.