This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

My sister, Emily, is a seventeen-year-old high school junior. I have to commend her for spending this past weekend with me here at Kenyon, because when I think about myself at that age, I know that I never would have been comfortable spending a weekend away at a college. Many of the students look and (sometimes) act much older than high schoolers. It’s a different world in many ways, that’s for sure.

My sister’s visit was my first experience with any family member coming to Kenyon for an extended period of time. There were plenty of things I was excited to show her, but I was also a little bit nervous. What if she ended up bored? What if something happened that made her decide against the possibility of attending Kenyon? I knew neither of those things were likely, but they still crossed my mind.

We, of course, did some typical Kenyon visit activities, like getting ice cream from the bookstore on Friday night and doing a little walking tour of the campus on Saturday afternoon, followed by dinner at Fiesta Mexicana. We also did a few less typical things, though, like opting to go to the Ballpit Whalers improv show instead of the Ransom Notes concert (sorry) and spending Sunday morning making muffins instead of going to Peirce brunch. I think it’s important that every visitor of mine, whether it’s a friend or family member, has a unique experience in their visit.

I consistently got one question both before and during my sister’s visit: “Are you guys going to Shock Your Mom?” The answer is: we didn’t go to the all-campus party, but we did go to a pregame. I think this traditional Kenyon party will forever be known in my mind as Shock Your Sister, or maybe Make Your Sister Very Uncomfortable. We left the pregame after literally fifteen minutes and went to the pub to see Allen Cruz & the Galaxy (side note: they are wonderful).

Em is the second person I’ve had visit me, with my best friend being the first. Having someone close to you who’s never really seen Kenyon before come to campus can lead you to see everything in a whole new way. Things that I’ve been taking for granted as someone who walks this campus every day, like the beauty of the Gap Trail or the multitude of squirrels, are suddenly exciting to me again because someone who isn’t used to those things has pointed it out to me. It’s like my first few months on campus all over again. I was sad to see her go, as there were plenty more things and experiences I could’ve shown her. I guess those things will have to wait until the next time she visits.

And what did my sister think of her stay? “I liked the campus because everything is close, and it’s pretty. Everyone is very nice and friendly. I felt like I was welcomed when people to talk to me at dinner and ask about me.” I’d say we made a pretty good impression, fellow Kenyon students. Maybe my sister will become a permanent resident of Gambier in 2018.

Image credits: Elizabeth Heckler

Elizabeth is a writer and Senior Editor for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a sophomore English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing at Kenyon College, where she is also a member of the cross country team. She is a Stephen King fanatic and a chocolate lover. In her free time, she can be found reading a good book or rewatching any of the Star Wars movies.