This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

The Ohio winter this past month proved to be a challenge for my friends and I. Despite having experienced cold weather before coming to Kenyon, none of us had any experience with frosty winds or freezing rain. I remember walking down middle path one day and it was completely covered with a thick sheet of ice, turning the entire campus into a skating rink. Even though I am still in the middle of my first Ohio winter, I have made a list of my 10 favorite ways to combat the cold, icy weather, and hopefully they work!

1.     Unleash your inner Shrek: Layers!

Everyone remembers the famous link in Shrek when he says, “Ogres have layers!” Well, that is exactly what we need to do when travelling from your dorm room to class in the morning. As much as I hate to admit it, we should listen to our mothers when they say to wear another coat, even though you are already wearing four layers of clothes. Even if you do get really hot while in class, you can always get rid of a layer. I know I would rather wear seven layers of shirts and jackets, two layers of pants, and two layers of fuzzy socks rather than transforming into a freezie pop on my way to class.

2.     Blankets! Blankets! Blankets!

What’s better than snuggling up in your fleecy pj’s and fuzzy socks and wrapping yourself up like a burrito in as many blankets while binge watching Stranger Things? Nothing! As most of my friends know, I have a passionate love for blankets. My mom says I have too many, but I argue that one can never have too many blankets. I bought a soft, knitted blanket with a matching pillow just for me to take naps in. Blankets are perfect if you want to stay in doors and cuddle up with some popcorn and your favorite movie.

3.     Any piping hot beverage.

Imagine cozying up to your favorite Nicholas Sparks novel, wrapped in blankets and sitting beside a crackling fire. Now imagine that you have a boiling hot chocolate topped with whipped cream and marshmallows for you to enjoy as you read about Noah and Ally’s whirlwind romance. The hot liquid rushes down your throat and fills your entire body with warmth.

4.     Have a Dance Party with Friends!

Dancing is one of the greatest ways to exercise while having fun. Put on Just Dance 4 (my favorite), clear the space, and you and your friends will be sweating in no time!

5.     Let there be Light!

Light is one of the best ways to warm up your room in the winter when the space heaters are taking too long. So, go crazy, hang some colorful string lights and place lamps all around your room. Not only will this create a positive, “sunny” atmosphere, but it will also keep you warm. Not to mention the fact that your room will look like a festival or holiday every night.

6.     Take a Hot Shower.

A hot shower is exactly what I need after returning home after a class all the way across campus. A bonus tip: put your clothes and towel in the dryer for a quick warm up while you shower for extra warmth.

7.     Get yourself a Cuff.

Oh cuffing season. The time where people get in relationships in the winter just so that they have someone to snuggle up to in the cold night. This can be your S.O. or your best friend, who in my opinion, is way better than anyone else. So, go on, and grab that special someone, maybe it’s your dog or your mom, and enjoy snuggling up while watching Love Actually on Netflix.

8.     Eat Spicy Food.

Most people do not enjoy spicy food, however, I love the taste of spices running through my mouth. Growing up, my mom would always make me spicy Indian food. She said, “I’m training your tongue to handle the spice when you’re older.” Well, she was right! Not only do I love spicy food, but it also keeps the inside of my body warm in the wintery weather.

9.     Work Out.

The KAC is there for a reason, so go use it! Working out not only benefits your physical and mental health, but it also makes you hot and sweaty. While this may not be the most flattering look of the season, I can assure you it is better than shivering your way back to the freshman quad.

10.  Don’t Go Outside.

This is what all of us lazy girls love to do. Stay inside, in your bed, and don’t ever leave. You will not have to face the harsh winter weather outside, which gives you more time to catch up on homework you didn’t do last week or take naps, one of my favorite activities.

I hope this helps you combat the cold weather. Keep in mind that some of these are only suggestions and are not guaranteed to keep you warm forever. Good luck friends and stay cozy!

Image credits: Tumblr

Anushka is a hopeful (undeclared) Pscyhlogy or Economics major. She is a sophomore at Kenyon College, and while she's not working hard in school, she can be found admiring memes and cute dogs. Anushka is from Seattle, Washington and loves spending time with her friends and hiking the many mountains of the Pacific Northwest.