This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

What is better than going on a road trip across the country with your best friends? Blasting some hot jams while obnoxiously singing for the duration of the entire car ride! So, I have compiled (in no particular order) a list of ten of favorite songs to play while on the road.

1. “Closer” by The Chainsmokers (feat. Halsey)

College is a weird mix of work, relationships, and Chainsmokers’ music. The fall of 2016 marked the era of “Closer,” and during that time I do not remember going a full day without hearing this song. While some people find this song annoying or repetitive, they have to admit, it is so much fun to sing out loud.

2. “Cruise” by Florida Georgia Line (ft. Nelly) Remix

This song is a road trip essential. It describes summer love as well as riding in car with your friends. While I am not the biggest fan of country music, this is an exception. The addition of Nelly in this remix gives the song an energetic and swagalicious vibe for everyone to love.

3. “Colors” by Halsey

While this may not relate to road trips, “Colors” is one of my favorite songs by Halsey. If you are looking for a song to fall asleep to as you’re driving across a stretch of flat land at sunset, this is the perfect song to play. It’s catchy and very easy to sing along to.

4. “Castle On A Hill” by Ed Sheeran

Recently released, “Castle On A Hill” by Ed Sheeran immediately made me think of my college friends. This song tells a story of friendship throughout the years. An upbeat pop song with a country flare is exactly what I need when spending hours and hours in a car with some of my closest friends.

5. “Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani

This is one of the most classic girl-anthems of the 2000s. I do not know a single person who hates listening to the song that taught me how to spell “bananas.”

6. “A Thousand Miles” by Vanessa Carlton

This song reminds me of the movie White Chicks when the characters are driving in a convertible singing this song at the top of their lungs. Maybe that’s why I love this song while driving…

7. “Here’s to Never Growing Up” by Avril Lavigne

Another pop song about friendship is what all college kids need. The thought of growing up and entering the real world scares everyone. This song is here to remind us that we should focus and embrace our college lives.

8. “Ain’t It Fun” by Paramore

This is another chill, yet upbeat, song for us kids to sing aloud. Paramore is known for its rock and pop music which makes it the perfect song to dance and sing along to during the road trip.

9. “Party In The U.S.A.” by Miley Cyrus

Although Miley Cyrus has moved on from this stage in her career, this song defines the peak of her music. As the official pop anthem of America, this is necessary on a road trip. It’s a catchy song that describes moving across the country—how much better can it get?​

10. “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey

This classic rock song fills me with hope and many emotions. My friends and I sing this as we walk to class or dinner (we call ourselves the official, unofficial a capella group, The Rejectz). We might as well sing it during our trek across the country.​

So there you have it: my top ten essential road trip songs! Next time you and your friends decide to go on a road trip, I highly suggest using all of these songs if you want to have a huge jam session in your car. Safe travels, fam!

Image Credit: Best Road Trip Ever, Tumblr, Deviantart, Fueled By Ramen

Anushka is a hopeful (undeclared) Pscyhlogy or Economics major. She is a sophomore at Kenyon College, and while she's not working hard in school, she can be found admiring memes and cute dogs. Anushka is from Seattle, Washington and loves spending time with her friends and hiking the many mountains of the Pacific Northwest.