Mexican Food and Homesickness: A Delicious Remedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

To know me is to know my love for Mexican food. I’m not picky on where I eat Mexican food—whether it be fast food or at a sit-down restaurant, I am ready to go, anytime, anywhere. I would say this love of mine goes beyond Mexican food being my comfort food. While it does provide comfort, I have extremely strong cravings for it, which at times can be problematic for my bank account.

All throughout high school, you could find me at Plaza Azteca located on Richmond Road in Williamsburg, Virginia. Plaza Azteca became a second home to me and was, in my opinion, the best quality Mexican food in my town. Often there were long lines at Plaza, but once someone committed to going to the restaurant with me, there was no backing out. We were going to wait because no restaurant could beat Plaza Azteca’s salsa. Also, you can count on the waiters to bring me out my own double sized salsa cup, so that they would not have to refill it as often.

Something you should know: salsa can either make or break a Mexican restaurant for me. There is nothing I hate more than chunky salsa. Chips are thin, therefore it is completely illogical as to why salsa should be chunky. Also, because Salsa is a dip, it should be able to be dipped and retain substance. Chunks should NOT fall off!

When I first visited Kenyon, I was on a quest to find a good Mexican restaurant. If there wasn’t one nearby, it was going to take a lot of convincing for me to go to Kenyon. We asked locals in Mount Vernon where the best Mexican Restaurant was and they told us that we should try Fiesta Mexicana. So, I embarked upon my quest to try out the best Mexican food the Gambier/Mt. Vernon area has to offer.

Upon sitting down, the waiter immediately gave us chips and salsa. When I looked down at the salsa I noticed that it was thin, just like that of Plaza Azteca back home. This may seem small, but it gave me some reassurance of home when I was debating whether or not to go to school so far away. I don’t want to say that Fiesta Mexicana is one of the reasons why I came to Kenyon, but it definitely didn’t hurt that the food was so delicious.

These days, I go to Fiesta as much as my bank account allows me, but I have also found a cheaper alternative: Taco Bell. One benefit to Taco Bell is that I can get it in Williamsburg or Ohio, which means that, either way, my cravings are satisfied. Taco Bell may be slacking in the salsa department, but it makes up for it by its cheese dip. Therefore, when I want chips and dip, both Fiesta Mexicana and Taco Bell qualify—which makes it hard to make a decision sometimes.

When it’s late at night, I generally tend to crave Mexican food. Also, during stressful weeks or times of homesickness, I frequently crave Mexican food. I can always rely on Mexican food to comfort me. While my love for Mexican food began to fulfill my cravings for delicious, salty snacks, I now love it because it helps cure my homesickness. I really have a greater appreciation for Mexican food after moving away from home. It reminds me of all the happy times I spent with friends and of the town I called home for the past eighteen years. It might not seem like much to you, but this little bit of comfort goes a long way.

Do you have a favorite kind of food? Does it also mean something special to you? Let me know in the comments!

Image credits: Feature, 1, 2

Margo is a Sophmore at Kenyon College. She is from Williamsburg, Virginia where she was born and raised. Margo is an Political Science major with a minor in Religous Studies who is a member of the Epsilon Delta Mu sorority on campus. In her free time you can find her petting dogs on campus, or hanging out with friends.