Love My Locks: A Hot Tools Review from Someone Who Never Uses Them

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

This article is part of the Her Campus Kenyon series Love My Locks, in which our writers discuss their relationships to their manes. A huge thank you to Ulta Beauty and Bed Head for gifting us with so many hair goodies in the College Fashion Week Essentials Kit!

If you see me in class, I will probably be dressed fairly nicely with a full face of makeup, and my shit almost together. What gives away my complete and utter messiness is my hair.

My hair is very fine and long, and it knots like a nightmare, despite being pretty straight. It would probably take a small army to comb it in time for my 8:10 chemistry class. So, hair styling tools, even just combs, are quite a rare occurrence in my daily life.

When I learned that Her Campus Kenyon was going to get some styling tools from Her Campus National for College Fashion Week, I got super excited. I have never used a flat iron, and my curler had been out of commission for about…6 years or so. So, I signed my name up to receive two new ones from Bead Head TIGI.

The Flat Iron:

The flat iron was tiny. Nice and portable, but slightly annoying since I have quite a substantial amount of hair. When I texted a picture of the iron to my friend from back home, she told me it was the perfect size to straighten her poodle’s curls. I think that’s pretty accurate for how small this thing is. I bet it’d be super helpful for bangs and short hair, but it was a little tricky for my long tangly blonde rats nest.

I really had no idea what I was doing with this thing, but it was surprisingly easy to use. There was one button—on. And, it heated up in less than thirty seconds.

I was pretty happy to see how easy the thing was to use. It was very hot, which made me worried for my thin hair, but it wasn’t too bad.

Despite having straight hair, the flat iron actually had an effect. It kept my hair from knotting as much, and it was somehow more effective and quicker than my comb. I don’t think I’m gonna be straightening my hair every day, but it’s a nice addition to my growing hair tool collection.

Will I use this again? Probably. It was super easy to use.

Would I purchase this myself? Probably not. Simply because I don’t have bangs or very curly hair. If I ever look at hot tools at a salon, my eyes are never drawn to the flat irons. I think this was a good product, but it’s probably way better for someone with the right hair.

The Curling Iron:

The Curling Iron, compared to the portable little flat iron, was massive. It came with an instructional guide and a glove, which was a nice touch. The curling iron I was used to, however, had a little clamp. This one required me to twist my hair around a rod, so there was a bit of a learning curve.

Like the other tool, the curler heated up super quickly. It got a little bit too hot, so I was very tentative with using it, but it was pretty quick to do my entire head of hair.

I have never been good at curling my hair, but I was happy to see that my first attempts weren’t terrible. I ended up getting some beachy waves that I brushed out because it was a bit too fancy for my lab class at 1 (my hair had to be off my face, less I want it burned off), and when I attempted some more bouncy curls, they took almost no time.

If I saw this at a salon, I’d definitely want it. I really like how fast it heats up as well.

I think having new and nice hot tools makes me want to use them more. I never used my curler because it was old and took about three years to heat up enough, and I had never had a flat iron. Overall, I’m pretty happy with these things! They aren’t perfect, don’t get me wrong, but they make really good starter tools. Both were very easy to use, and left great results.

Image Credit: Feature,1,2

People call me Suz.
Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia.