This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Name: Kenyatta “Kenny” Cassandra Marie France Viel

Age: 20

Year: 2017

Hometown: Chandler, Arizona

Major: Molecular Biology Major with an Anthropology Minor and an African Diaspora Studies Concentration

Activities: K-STEM, BSU, ΑΣΤ

Power animal: A howler monkey… but maybe I’m more like cat! (except they’re not very powerful, and I’m allergic to them.)

Hey Kenny! You’re a dedicated Mol-Bio student at Kenyon, and the President of the Alpha Sigma Tau (ΑΣΤ) sorority. How do you balance sorority life with your taxing academics?

I don’t. I took all of my harder classes last semester, and I’m taking a bunch of little courses this semester. This makes it a lot easier to manage everything. Also, my sisters are really proactive — they’re very active and dedicated, which I’m extremely thankful for. It warms my heart.

A lot of first-years research sororities (and fraternities) on campus before choosing to rush. How would you describe your sorority to someone considering rushing ΑΣΤ?

The national core values are intellect, excellence, graciousness, respect, and connections. Those are our core values, which we try to enact in our presence on campus.

We are very much “social-justice-y.” We like to talk about the female presence on campus, and we do want to talk to people of color in the community and how their lives are affected at Kenyon and surrounding. A lot of women in AST are women of color and part of the core community, so this means a lot to us.

What’s your best memory as a sister (and/or President!) of ΑΣΤ?

My favorite story, weirdly enough, is my introduction to AST. One of my sisters convinced me to rush. We had Bio-Anth together, and every day she talked about the sorority and how much she thinks I would like it. She would do this every single day — Monday through Friday, every day during the first five minutes of class. Finally, to shut her up, I said I’d rush — just for her! And here I am.

After that, I’ve obviously had some wonderful moments with all my sisters and friends. But that one, the first one, always reminds me of how much the girls in this sorority want you to shine. They push you forward and want you to blossom. (Editor’s note: Kenny made a “blossoming,” upwards motion with her hands.) They really empower each other. We’re all different, have different cores to each of us, but we become unified both within Kenyon and outside.

What else can you tell us about sorority life on campus, either as an Alpha Tau or in general?

Being in a sorority is pretty boss. I respect all of the women who are a part of Greek life. They’re all great, professional women. Regardless of what sorority we’re all in, we help each other reach our goals on campus.

Sorry, I’m not really much of a wordsmith. I just do math problems all day.

On to the fun questions! If Jeni’s made an ice-cream just for you, what flavor would it be and why?

Croutons!!

Croutons? Just an ice-cream made out of croutons and milk?

No, just give me croutons. Kenny ice-cream is just a pint of croutons. I like the garlic butter croutons the most.

Describe the perfect Kenyon day.

Sleep and video games. Maybe working in the lab. I’m not very complicated.

Finally, what is one thing on your Kenyon bucket list?

I want to sleep in every academic building. 

Thank you for meeting with us, Kenny!

Image Credits: Kenyatta Viel