courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

It’s Okay To Not Be Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

It’s not uncommon to have a rough week. There are times in everyone’s college experiences when stress level is high, amount of sleep is low, and morale is almost non-existent. If we know that even the happiest of people cannot possibly be content every minute, why are so many college students ashamed to express that they are struggling?

I have fallen into this habit. When people, whether they are close friends or simply acquaintances trying to be friendly, ask me how I’m doing, I say that I am “well.” This way, I can truthfully answer the question by referring to the status of my physical health rather than my emotional well-being. Like many college students, the thought of bringing a peer down or letting someone see that I am vulnerable does not help me build the professional reputation I would like to begin for myself. When I graduate and get a paying job, I will be expected to act professional regardless of the happenings of my personal life. However, I have recently realized that this is my life right now and I am not paid or expected to accommodate other people’s emotions.

Perhaps in the future, I will have to put on a brave face for others, but as of now, I am responsible only for my own feelings. And just as I don’t expect other people to always be alright, I am entitled to have a bad week every now and then without having to conceal my mood.

I am not saying that it is justified to suck people who are already dealing with their own issues into an emotional vortex, but it is better to let myself wallow every so often than to pretend that I am always fine. Struggling with social, academic, or personal stress is taxing enough without the extra humiliation of feeling exposed. The sooner we accept that it is normal to show that we are overwhelmed, upset, or unstable, the sooner we can stop hiding behind a forced sense of satisfaction. Remember that other people are likely struggling with issues as well and will understand when you are facing your own. Sometimes, it’s okay to not be okay.

Image Credit: We Heart It

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.