It’s Okay to be from Ohio at Kenyon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

“What’s your major?” is supposed to be the single scariest question a liberal arts student can encounter, especially in their first few weeks of college. And I say supposed to because being an Ohio native brings on a new level of stuttering nervousness when someone asks the proverbial, “Where are you from?”

In my first few weeks here, my answer went something like “Uhhh…umm…I mean I…live in Ohio…BUT I WAS BORN IN CALIFORNIA…and UH…LIVED IN TEXAS ONCE.” As soon as the word “Ohio” left my mouth, I felt a sudden need to explain myself and how I could ever choose to go to school in my own state (or how I am from Ohio, but no, I’m not just a piece of corn). People seemed to respond better when they were assured I haven’t just lived in Ohio—meaning I must be in on the big secret of living in places an airplane ride away. The truth is, I’ve lived in Ohio for almost nine years now, and it has been my favorite place that I’ve lived. As many Kenyon students come to find, there really is no place like the Midwest with its good courtesy, beautiful sunsets, and Graeter’s Ice Cream. When it came time to start applying for schools, most of my high school friends were ready to get out of the bubble and venture to schools all over the country. Having already lived in other places, I wasn’t so sure.

Luckily for me, Kenyon happened to be my perfect fit and it was only three hours away—which can feel like lightyears (really). The rural part of Ohio that surrounds our campus is another world compared to more urbanized parts of the state, including Cincinnati. I probably can’t count on my fingers how many times I’ve had to say “Not all of Ohio is like this, I promise!”​In reality, everyone at Kenyon has one thing in common: we chose to go to school in Ohio. While it’s pretty easy to pick on rural Ohio’s seemingly endless winding roads, farmhouses, and Walmarts, we all secretly love our time here.

As for the Ohio-ers, there is nothing better to do than embrace your home and defend Skyline to all of the confused newcomers who have never experienced the combination of chili, cheese, and spaghetti. Offer to take your friends home to show them that shopping malls and civilization exists just hours away, and be sure to visit them as you continue expanding your horizons.     

And, try not to brag too much when your friends are frantically trying to figure out flights as you enjoy the scenic cornfield-filled car ride home.​

Image Credit: Feature,1,2,3

Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia.