The Irony of Tomi Lahren’s Removal from The Blaze

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Let me begin this by saying that I wholeheartedly disagree with 99.9999% of the things that Tomi Lahren says. A lot of her rhetoric is extremely hateful, and I find her attitude in her videos to be unprofessional. She also has a tendency to label anyone who disagrees with her as a “snowflake.”

However, with that being said, I wanted to talk about the removal of Lahren’s show from The Blaze after she noted that she is pro-choice during a segment on The View. This isn’t because I want to celebrate Lahren’s one semi-liberal viewpoint. Her opinion here doesn’t eradicate the rest of her shortcomings by any stretch of the imagination, and putting Tomi Lahren on a pedestal because she said she’s pro-choice would probably be the ultimate display of white feminism. I wanted to talk about the unfairness and hypocrisy that lies in removing Lahren for expressing this viewpoint.Generally, conservatives are all about eradicating “big government” by doing things like eliminating financial and environmental regulations on businesses. They apply the same logic to gun control, stating that the government shouldn’t have so much control over an individual’s Second Amendment rights. In most cases, limited government is a pillar of conservative beliefs.

Lahren’s pro-choice stance simply takes this idea of limited government and applies it to abortion rights. It’s exactly the same concept that conservatives use when discussing gun control. If the government shouldn’t be allowed to make decisions for a woman about her ownership of weapons, why should they be allowed to make decisions about what she does with her body?

Lahren has effectively been ostracized by a large portion of the conservative community for one disagreement about policy, as if you can’t be conservative without strictly adhering to every rule and regulation of the platform. To quote a tweet from Lahren herself, “Conservatives don’t have to exist in a monolith and share the same brain on every issue.”​Some conservatives, including Lahren herself, like to paint liberals as overly-sensitive “snowflakes,” and they criticize the idea of safe spaces almost on the daily. Isn’t it kind of ironic, then, that The Blaze felt the need to remove Lahren for one comment that upset some conservatives? She didn’t applaud women who get abortions. She didn’t say she’d ever get an abortion herself. She just feels that the government shouldn’t have a role in deciding whether or not a woman has the right to a safe abortion performed by medical professionals.

There’s nothing wrong with The Blaze or any other organization catering to one side of the political spectrum, as long as that organization recognizes itself for what it is. You can’t label one website a “liberal snowflake safe space” and then praise another as an unbiased news source. They’re two sides of the same coin. The removal of Lahren’s show only proves that The Blaze is, in fact, a safe space for conservatives, and that’s a perfectly acceptable thing to be. Just don’t degrade liberals for building their own safe spaces, too.

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3

Elizabeth is a writer and Senior Editor for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a sophomore English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing at Kenyon College, where she is also a member of the cross country team. She is a Stephen King fanatic and a chocolate lover. In her free time, she can be found reading a good book or rewatching any of the Star Wars movies.
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.