The Importance of TLC in Gambier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

It wasn’t until I was home in my own bed that I realized how worn out I was. My eye had been twitching for two days because I was way too overtired, my hairdresser berated me on how dry my hair was, and so many of my clothes were wrinkled from being stuffed into my suitcase because I hurriedly packed for Thanksgiving Break. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time over break giving myself some much-needed TLC.

Maybe it was just the excitement of break after the drive of classes getting to me after three months, but being at home made me realize that the way I was living at school was not working out. My dorm was a mess, I hadn’t been sleeping enough, and all of my friends and I laugh about the Freshman 15, but it was getting real. Something needed to change. And, because sharing is caring, here are some tips that I’ve found work with me!

1. Clean Your Room

With all the stress of finals and little motivation to make it to winter break, the last thing you need on your plate is animosity with your roommate because her side of the room looks like Mary Poppins cleaned it, and yours looks like a swamp. Make a party out of it. I always like to crank up music, typically Beyoncé, and tackle one project at a time. Refold your clothes, tidy up your shoes, put away things in your closet lying on the floor. Try to make it easier for yourself; I’ve worked in my morning schedule to allow some time for me to properly make my bed every morning so I come home to a well-made bed. It’s the little things that count.

2. Treat Yourself with a Spa Night

I know that there’s nothing acne loves more than stress, and I feel you on this one. When I have a paper due and two quizzes, there is nothing I hate more than to see a new pimple making it’s way onto my face. But again, try to turn it into a positive! Maybe even have a spa night and treat yourself with a mask (Sephora) has some amazing ones online, or you can look up a DIY recipe and maybe even do your nails. And I know acne isn’t the cutest thing to talk about, but it’s real and we all still have our days.

3. Set Aside Time to Exercise

Is your KAC routine getting old? Try out some of the classes they offer! I went to a Zumba class with friends and didn’t even realize how hard it was kicking my butt until halfway in because I was so busy laughing with my friends at how ridiculous we all were while doing the moves. I know it’s a schlep to get to in the winter when it’s cold and all you want is your bed and Netflix. But especially with finals up, it’s so unhealthy to stay cooped up studying, and it’s important to spend some time getting active, so why not make it fun?

4. Chat with Family

Facetime with your mom or a relative! My phone dates with my grandma and mom are the best pick-me-ups in the middle of the week when I feel like I’m so overwhelmed with work. Also my mom is your classic Jewish mom with tough love, so when I complain about work and she just tells me to get my butt to the library. It’s the motivation I need to get my work done.

5. Eat Well

Do NOT stress eat. I know it’s tempting, but you’ll end up feeling worse. I know it’s tempting to crave a warm cookie and hot chocolate from Wiggins, but they don’t call it the Freshman 15 for nothing. Stress-eating is a real thing, and it’s so good to have that relationship with food. Allow yourself some treats, like a deli date to catch up with a friend, or dessert from Peirce. I know that it’s not like the market is a holy grail for organic fruits and veggies, but try focusing on foods that improve your moods, like dark chocolate. Even when those fries look mighty yummy at Peirce, I still try to get a salad, or at least eat an apple with my meal.

6. Enjoy Being in College

We aren’t adults…yet. Sometimes it’s easy to let the stress of work get to us, and especially in such a place that’s isolated, it’s not as easy to go out to dinner or explore in a city and play hooky. So we get to do things our way in Gambier! Make time for fun…the library can fry your brain sometimes. Not to say that you shouldn’t do your work, but we’re young and sometimes you should just crank up the music in your dorm room and be silly with your friends before you have to worry about getting a job and being an adult and having real responsibilities. 

We live in a society that teaches us that loving ourselves is equal to being vain, and I think that’s ridiculous. If it makes you happy to take the time to pick out a cute outfit, or straighten your hair everyday, or do your makeup, do it! If it makes you happy, do it. Yeah, my friends laugh at me for being obsessed with online shopping or putting on facemasks to pamper myself, but when I’m stressed with writing papers for finals, I do something that makes me feel good. Whether that’s brewing tea, going to the KAC, having a snack, cleaning my room, or anything listed above, the important thing is that you find something that is a treat for you, and you allow yourself that. Self-love is such an important skill to have, especially in a place where you can’t go to a spa to get your nails done, or escape super easily from this tiny campus. It’s all about finding ways to make yourself a priority here, in the lovely Gambier.

Editor’s Note: We want to say a huge thank you to Her Campus National for sending us such an amazing Finals Survival Kit! We are definitely using the amazing products included in the kit to give ourselves some much-deserved TLC. From the Michael Kors flash tats to the Tresemme hair care products, there are plenty of goodies we can use to pamper ourselves.

Image Credit: Giphy 

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.