I Relate to the Grinch More Than One Would Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving is over, most people are beginning to get into the holiday spirit. One of my favorite holiday traditions is watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas, a childhood classic movie. There is something about the Whos of Whoville and the obscurity of the Grinch that make this a timeless masterpiece. Throughout all of my years watching this movie, I never realized how much I relate to the mischievous Grinch.

First and foremost, although he is known to be cold and mean, on in the inside, the Grinch has sympathy for those in need. When he has his first encounter with Cindy Lou Who, the Grinch is seen saving her from being crushed by the giant mail stamp machine. Deep down, the Grinch has a good heart; it just takes the right motivation for it to work. Now you may be wondering why I relate to the Grinch on this level. It is not because I am cold or mean like him, but rather, I relate to him due to the fact that I tend to sympathize with those who are in need of help and support. If one of my friends is struggling, I will do my best to help them through their problem, whether it is a school matter or something in their personal life.

The rest of my reasons why I relate so much to the Grinch will be told in the form of GIFs.

Okay, but who doesn’t say this? We all eat because we are bored, yet we do not realize it. How wacky is that? I know I am always up late at night doing homework, and for some unknown reason, I have a bag of chips open next to me. Maybe I’m bored of doing homework, or maybe I use eating to reward myself for completing a problem. Either way, I’m not always sure why I eat food when I’m not hungry.

This perfectly describes me on a night out with my friends. Looking for something cute to wear in my closet is like finding a needle in a haystack. My friends know that I only wear leggings, t-shirts, and quarter-zip pullovers. I go for comfort over style every day despite my mom telling me I should always dress to impress. However, the only time that I feel the need to dress to impress is on the weekends. Searching for the perfect outfit is the hardest thing ever since I am known to be extremely indecisive. Sometimes I feel like giving up and going out in sweatpants and a baggy t-shirt—or better yet, staying in bed and watching Netflix for the next two hours.

Dinner with myself: one of my favorite hobbies. Yes, I love my friends with all my heart, but there are some nights where a little bit of self-care as you eat your dorm-cooked meal is ideal. It’s not like I have an S.O. to have dinner with, so I might as well treat myself during the holiday season, right?

When you’re scrolling through the myriad of photos your friend took of you for your new profile picture and don’t see any that you remotely enjoy. *enough said*

Anytime I catch feelings, which is rare, I always think back to this scene. For someone who does not feel much about a special someone very often, I always forget that there is a small space in my heart that is capable to hold romantic feelings…and then it hits me all at once.

As much as I love hanging out alone in my room or the library, my friends always remind me to come and hang out with them in a non-working environment.

For someone who does not hate the holidays or people, I can safely say that I relate to all of the comedic aspects of the Grinch. While the green baddie has his days of wallowing in self-pity and plotting the destruction of the Whos’ happiness, he is by far one of the most comedic villains to ever exist.

Image Credit: Feature, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anushka is a hopeful (undeclared) Pscyhlogy or Economics major. She is a sophomore at Kenyon College, and while she's not working hard in school, she can be found admiring memes and cute dogs. Anushka is from Seattle, Washington and loves spending time with her friends and hiking the many mountains of the Pacific Northwest.
Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia.