Everything You Need to Know About Third Party Candidate Gary Johnson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

*Please note: This article is meant to be purely informational and does not represent the political views of either the author or Her Campus Kenyon.

America’s politics have long been dominated by the two-party system, and this year’s election is no different. However, given the polarizing nature of the frontrunning candidates, many voters are looking for an alternative political leader whom they would rather support and trust. Disheartened Democrats and Republicans alike have turned to Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson and his vice presidential partner William Weld.

Johnson served as governor of New Mexico from 1994 to 2002 as a Republican, during which time he advocated for smaller government and tax cuts in multiple areas. Although he called for the institution of many budget cuts in order to balance the budget deficit, he raised education spending during his first term. Johnson ran for president through the Libertarian party in the 2012 election, and he has returned for the 2016 election. Here’s where Johnson and Weld stand on various hot-button issues:

Abortion

Abortion has recently been a hotly debated topic in the US, with religious and moral viewpoints playing a large role in the deliberations. Johnson admits to having a “personal aversion” to abortion, but he advocates for a woman’s right to make her own choices on such a personal matter. As governor of New Mexico, he was a proponent of banning late-term abortions.

Immigration

Johnson believes that the best solution to immigration reform in the United States is to create a system which makes it “simpler and more efficient to enter the United States legally.” This would include providing work visas, performing background checks, and generally aiming to help immigrants assimilate into US culture.

Marijuana Legalization and the War on Drugs

Johnson and Weld are proponents of removing cannabis from the federal Controlled Substances Act, which would hand the individual states the power to legalize and regulate marijuana as they see fit. Johnson and Weld believe this could create an opportunity for a strong industry which would benefit America’s economy, and it would allow for important medical testing of cannabis. They do not advocate for the legalization of other recreational drugs but aim to shift from a system of incarceration of nonviolent offenders to one of rehabilitation.

Government Spending

Johnson envisions a balanced budget, something he was able to achieve within his time as governor of New Mexico. He proposes cutting all unnecessary spending, particularly in terms of the military and entitlements, in order to balance the budget without increasing taxes. He also pledges to veto any legislation that will result in deficit spending.

Internet Freedom and Privacy

Since Johnson and Weld believe that freedom of Internet access is a key component of our modern economy, they are strong supporters of the Fourth Amendment’s requirement of a warrant for search purposes. They oppose the idea that government officials should have a “backdoor” to access information which is otherwise encrypted or secured.

Want to learn more about Johnson and Weld? Visit their website at www.johnsonweld.com, or follow them on Twitter @GovGaryJohnson and @GovBillWeld. Need to register to vote? Visit vote.usa.gov, or check out some of the resources available on campus.

Sources: https://www.johnsonweld.com

Image Credits: Msecnd.net, podbean.com, turner.com

Elizabeth is a writer and Senior Editor for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a sophomore English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing at Kenyon College, where she is also a member of the cross country team. She is a Stephen King fanatic and a chocolate lover. In her free time, she can be found reading a good book or rewatching any of the Star Wars movies.