This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

This article is part of a series on Her Campus Kenyon called “What Empowers Me.” Keep checking our site to read more articles about what makes our staff writers feel empowered!

Before I came to Kenyon, I had never been on a plane by myself. I was 18, flying home from Kenyon to California for Thanksgiving my freshman year. I was scared. Not that something was going to go wrong, per se. I feared I would lose something, forget how to navigate an airport without following my parents around and knowing where we have to go. I hate airports. I dislike making phone calls to strangers or asking for directions on the street.

I also wanted to go home, so I was going to make it work. Everything was fine, which I only know because I do not remember anything particularly mortifying about that airport experience.

In Vegas with my parents my senior year of high school.

I also love to travel. I don’t think I fully realized this until I went abroad. I was very lucky to have annual family vacations to all sorts of places across the United States as a child, but I also always longed for a grander adventure. I wanted to go to Europe, to England and France especially. While I am grateful for these travels as a child, they never felt like my trips. My parents (mostly my dad) would lead us from place to place, landmark to landmark of the area for a week and then we would go back home.

The May after my freshman year, however, I broke the norm. I took a trip by myself. I went to Boston to attend a music festival with friends from Kenyon, and then on to visit one of them in DC before flying home. For the first time in my life, I could have some control over the itinerary of my vacation. Of course, the plan was made with input from my friends and their interests, but I had far more power than in the past.

Boston Calling, 2014

I loved it. This experience was only multiplied when I went abroad. My travel was completely up to me. It was the first time I needed to book a place to stay for myself. Figuring out international airfare and finding good but affordable hostels was a struggle sometimes, but I learned quickly. I adapted to my needs. I wanted to explore new places and I needed to book the travel, so I did.

I felt so independent, liberated. I felt empowered.

I loved traveling alone. This is exemplified in what is likely my most valued memory from abroad. For my fall break, I spent four days alone in Paris. I stayed in a room with three strangers, a lock box holding my belongings while I explored. With a four-day museum pass, a large map and lots of directions Googled on the hostel’s Wifi, I took on the city I had been dreaming of visiting since childhood.

Paris in October 2015.

I wandered the Champs-Elysées. I went to Montmartre. I spent three days in the Louvre, hit up most of the museums I wanted to see for my first trip to Paris. (I refuse to think I will never go back. I might cry.) I took the metro. I ate a lot of crepes. I navigated the city and travel, and it was pure bliss.

It was exhausting, certainly. I was very glad to see my parents again when I met them in London and have the safety of wandering in a group and in a city of a lot of English speakers.

It was also the time of my life. Traveling (and doing it alone) is now second nature. I learned so much resourcefulness and planning ahead. I became better at directions and reading maps. Most of all, I learned how self-reliant I could be. When I may doubt myself now, it helps me to stay confident. I remind myself of how much I managed to figure out when things went off plan while I was abroad. I learned that I could maneuver without data and sometimes without a common language.

Venice in September 2015 for Venice Biennale.

I have come a long way. I learned that I could do anything, and I can’t wait for the many more solo travel experiences ahead of me.

Image credits: Jenna Wendler

California girl transported to the glory of the Midwest. Art History major, English minor. Proud nerd and Girl Scout. Blogger. Gund Gallery Associate. Class of 2017, loving every minute of exploring Gambier, Kenyon and myself to find what the future has in store.