This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I totally, seriously promise that I absolutely, 100% really did mean to wake up at 7:15 this morning so that I could take a shower and let my hair dry and maybe get a bowl of cereal in before picking Lauren up at 8:55 for breakfast. I totally meant to do that.

But, somehow, even with all the alarms I set, even with the sunlight streaming in through the blinds, somehow I didn’t end up waking up until 8:25. So much for the shower.

But, fear not! Because only a week or so ago, Her Campus National sent us our Spring Survival Kit! And, in that Survival Kit was a whole box of something I had heard of many many times before, something I had even seen in real life, but something I had never called my own: dry shampoo.

The thing about me is that I love two things: coffee and sleeping. So, I tend to schedule six (literally six) coffee dates in one day, and I always end up having to rush out the door for the first one, and don’t make it home till wayyy later at night after the last one.

So, on this particular day, I threw my dry shampoo into my (already-pretty-overstuffed) trusty backpack and ran out the door, and I totally made it to my high school just in time for Lauren’s free period to start. I used the shampoo once I got to the school, but it struck me how funny it was that I had essentially just been able to wash my hair in a parking lot in front of the performing arts building.(Also, since this was my first time experiencing dry shampoo firsthand…dude. The one Her Campus sent us smells really, really, really good.)

So, I picked Lauren up! And, I drove her to Starbucks, where the super cute barista I had a crush on during my junior year of high school was. (Honestly, I still totally have a little bit of a crush on him, and I just forgot about it since I’m not at Starbucks too often!) We ordered our drinks and sat down, and I realized I still had my dry shampoo with me. I realized I could use it here too. That is kind of crazy! You can totally use it anywhere!

After dropping Lauren back off in time for her Spanish class, I was headed into the performing arts building to say hi to my former choir director when I ran into my little sister. She made fun of me for carrying around a can of dry shampoo, but I pointed out that I could totally wash my hair right then and there if I wanted to and it wouldn’t even interrupt a minute of my day. Then, I made her take a picture with it, in the middle of the hallway, as, once again, I had found a wonderful moment in which I could use dry shampoo if I wanted to. As she scoffed and I walked away, the obvious victor of our debate, my phone beeped.

The text read: What are you doing? Hansa? In Libertyville?  I’m at Trader Joe’s in Libertyville right now and have a few hours to kill before an eye doc apt

Here are my friends Ben and Becca on a train with dry shampoo

Within fifteen minutes I was in my car headed down Milwaukee Avenue. I pretty much never turn down an opportunity to go to Hansa Coffee, and also, I totally missed Megan, and I jump at pretty much any opportunity to see her. (It’s pretty easy to become close friends with someone once you’re spending every minute of 9:00 to 5:00 with each other for the entire summer, I guess.)

The lattes at Hansa were as beautiful and as delicious as always, and conversation picked up as if we had just seen each other the day before. It’s funny when someone you met less than a year ago can somehow still feel like one of your oldest friends. And—I realized—it’s totally possible to wash your hair here too! All with the help of my newly aquired dry shampoo!

We still had a bit of time before the doctor’s appointment and downtown Libertyville is full of wonders and fast food. Also, I hadn’t been to Chipotle in months, so we decided to stop by. In my excitement, I totally forgot to bring my dry shampoo inside the Chipotle and take a picture of it to show that yes, you could totally use dry shampoo in a Chipotle, because it’s totally portable and easy to use.Eye doctor time rolled around, and Megan and I had to part ways, but my day wasn’t anywhere close to over yet. I headed back towards my high school, where Chapin’s classes were just ending and my third coffee date of the day was just starting. Probably time to switch over to drinking decaf for the rest of the day, though. I did my makeup in the car while I waited for her class to get out, and I also took a selfie with my new best friend, the dry shampoo.We swung by Prairie Espresso, and, like things always are with Chapin, we talked absolutely nonstop the entire time we were together. Like, the remind-yourself-to-also-take-a-breath-sometimes kind of nonstop. Her energy and laughter are contagious. And. And! This is yet another place where it’s totally possible to just whip out your dry shampoo.

I didn’t think Ellie was even going to be on campus today, but as I dropped Chapin off, I saw her walking from one building to the next, and I had to drop literally everything to go give her one of those hugs where you nearly tackle each other and sometimes fall down because you’re so excited to see each other. Ellie deserves nothing less.

Then she made me come with her to her econ class. Betcha you could totally use your dry shampoo right before econ class.

After classes, Ellie and I both had a bit of free time, so we decided to drive down to the lake and catch up for a while. She nearly doubled over laughing when I took out the dry shampoo yet again and got a shot of it near the water. But, seriously! I totally can’t think of a better time to have dry shampoo on you than during a beach day. Isn’t that absolutely, for sure the most convenient thing to throw in your bag ever?

After getting Ellie home, as the sun was starting to set, I figured it was probably time to head back towards my house. When I pulled into the driveway, my dog was waiting right there, even more enthusiastic than usual at someone’s arrival home. I’m pretty sure coming home to a dog is even better than coming home to a person sometimes.

Truthfully, over these breaks, with so much to do and soooo little time, I feel like “busy” is the only setting I know. And, as much as I absolutely adore busy days full of spontaneous changes-in-plans and people I couldn’t love more, it can get a bit exhausting, and if you don’t have time to shower in the mornings, it’s easy to feel a little bit gross as the day continues. But, honestly, even using dry shampoo just once at the start of my day was absolutely  a huge improvement on the days that I’m not able to get a shower in before the day begins. I quite honestly have no idea how I’ve gone so long without ever trying a product like this—I can already tell it’s bound to become a must-have for me pretty often.

Image Credit: Annmarie Morrison

Annmarie's a sophomore art history major at Kenyon College, and she really really really loves ginger ale and collaborative Spotify playlists, and she's working on being a better listener. For Her Campus, she both writes and is the photographer for the Kenyon chapter, as well as running the Instagram account for the chapter.