Dorm Room Meals That Are Actually Easy to Make

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Having access to a dining hall can be a really great thing: you don’t have to actually prepare your food, you don’t have to do any dishes, and it can turn a meal into a much-needed break from the isolation of studying. There are times, though, that you just really aren’t feeling the dining hall. Maybe you’re not interested in whatever is being offered for that particular meal. Maybe you’re avoiding social interaction. Or maybe there’s just no way that you’re going out in the cold for the sole purpose of eating a meal.

There are plenty of “easy” dorm meal recipes online. However, a lot of them require ingredients that you probably don’t just have on-hand, or the leftover ingredients you buy will expire before you have a reason to use them. Therefore, I have compiled a list of easy-to-make dishes and meals that are actually practical for a college student! Some require an oven, but there are also plenty of things that you can make in a microwave.

Pasta

What you’ll need: stove, medium-sized pot, strainer, pasta, pasta sauce

This is probably one of the easiest and most satisfying meals that you can make with just a few ingredients! All you need is your favorite kind of pasta and your favorite sauce — tomato, alfredo, whatever. The pasta that you don’t use will keep, and you can freeze any extra sauce! Another easy pasta is macaroni and cheese. I like Kraft Macaroni and Cheese Deluxe because you don’t need any cheese or butter to make the sauce. Also, if you’re in the market for a cooking pot, I would recommend one that has a strainer built into the lid; this is a tool that you can use for all kinds of foods.

Duncan Hines Perfect Size for One Mug Cakes

What you’ll need: mug, water, measuring spoon, microwave

These. Are. Delicious. Unlike the DIY mug cake recipes, you don’t need to go buy flour, sugar, and so on. These basically look like tiny cake mixes, and most of them only require that you add two or three tablespoons of water. There’s a huge variety of flavors, and my personal favorite is the corn muffin mix. These are great for a quick breakfast or a little treat.

Canned Veggies

What you’ll need: veggie of your choice, microwave and bowl OR stove, small pot, and strainer

A word of caution on this one: make sure you buy a canned veggie that has a pull tab on the lid, or else you’ll need a can opener! I like any of Walmart’s Great Value brand veggies just for that reason. When microwaving these, you can also avoid needing a strainer by CAREFULLY straining them by holding a plate against the bowl you used to heat them. Making them on a stove is nearly as quick as microwaving them, too!

Stouffer’s Frozen Entrées

What you’ll need: entrée of your choice, microwave OR oven

Stouffer’s is perhaps the greatest thing to ever happen to college students. They have a TON of different frozen meals, from lasagnas to fish to desserts, and they’re all really good. You can choose from single-serving options that can be made in either a microwave or an oven, or you can buy party-sized dishes when you’re looking to make food for friends or party guests. My personal favorites are the fish filet with macaroni and Grandma’s chicken and vegetable rice bake.  

Mashed Potatoes

What you’ll need: microwave, microwavable mashed potatoes, water

I am a mashed potato fanatic, so I was thrilled to find that Idahoan Microwavable Instant Mashed Potatoes taste like you made them from scratch! All you have to do is add water, stir, and microwave for a minute and a half. My personal favorite varieties are the buttery homestyle and roasted garlic!

Grilled Cheese Sandwich

What you’ll need: bread, butter, individually wrapped cheese slices, skillet, oven

Grilled cheese sandwiches are perfect for making a quick lunch on a snowy or rainy weekend. If you don’t have a skillet, a medium-sized pot will also work just fine! But, you might say, what about the rest of this entire loaf of bread I bought? Throw that in your freezer, my friend; just remember to get out a few slices ahead of time to thaw when you next need them. As for the butter and cheese slices, those will stay good in your fridge for a long time! The bread can also be used for other things, like a PB&J or a tuna salad sandwich.

Cooking in a dorm is really all about creativity and being open to trying new things! Think about your favorite meals from home and see if you can make them (or a simplified version of them). Browse the aisles at the grocery store; there are so many frozen entrées and sides that only require a baking sheet (88 cents at Walmart) and an oven. With just a little effort, you can quickly move beyond a diet of ramen and potato chips!

Image Credit: Feature, 1, 2, 3

Elizabeth is a writer and Senior Editor for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a sophomore English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing at Kenyon College, where she is also a member of the cross country team. She is a Stephen King fanatic and a chocolate lover. In her free time, she can be found reading a good book or rewatching any of the Star Wars movies.
Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia.