Disney+ Has Arrived: Here’s My Movie Watchlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Okay, it’s finally here. Disney has just released its new streaming platform, Disney+, containing all the nostalgic animated princess movies you ever could have dreamed of. In honor of this streaming-platform-to-potentially-end-all-streaming-platforms (though let’s be real, Netflix isn’t going anywhere anytime soon), I thought it wise to compile a list of my top recommendations for all who dug out their wallets or, more likely, immediately signed up for that free trial (aka, me). Because, let’s be real, who has the time to binge every episode of Wizards of Waverly Place right off the bat? My list of movies will include my top choices for each subgenre of Disney content (i.e., the categories listed on the streaming site), excluding National Geographic. I’m so sorry to all my nature lovers out there, but I’m not one of you. Thus, my opinions on the best nature docs will probably be meaningless to you anyway. At least that’s what I’ll tell myself at night… 

Disney

The mother of all Disney+ subcategories. And the most obvious. Within this category on the streaming page, you can find Disney originals, live-action movies, and, what we’re really all here for, old-school animated movies. Since I couldn’t include every movie for obvious reasons, I tried to narrow it down to just five (sorry Princess Protection Program and Wreck-It Ralph—you still have a special place in my heart). Here are my top choices:

Mulan

It’s a classic that if you haven’t seen yet, we’re going to have to have a strongly-worded discussion. It was one of the most progressive Disney movies of its time and was one of my childhood favorites. You’ll feel like a bad-ass when you watch it, guaranteed. 

Princess Diaries 2

Possibly super controversial, but I liked the second of the Princess Diaries films just as much as I did the first. Must have something to do with a certain young Chris Pine playing Mia’s love interest… 

Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

An iconic movie that, for better or for worse, I can’t think of without singing that SNL song. True fans know what I mean. It has all of the magic of the original book, plus a killer performance by Tilda Swinton as the White Witch. 

Hercules

I rewatched this movie with my friend the other day and couldn’t believe how good it was. I hadn’t watched it for years, and upon viewing it again, I was extremely mad at myself for not having done so sooner. Seriously, such underrated catchy songs! 

Lemonade Mouth

This is the definition of a hidden gem. It unfairly got way less hype than the High School Musical and Camp Rock movies, despite being just as good—if not, dare I say, better. Featuring a pre-famous Hayley Kiyoko, a lot of teen angst, and pubescents attempting to inspirationally rap, this movie has it all. 

Pixar

I’m limiting this list to only three movies. So sorry Pixar fans, but I gotta keep this moving. 

The Incredibles

I couldn’t not list this one: my all-time childhood favorite movie, and for good reason (that it’s completely awesome). One of the best superhero movies in my opinion—Marvel, watch out.

Monsters University

Again, this might be controversial, but I liked this one more than the original Monsters Inc. I’m a sucker for an origin story, and something about a nerdy Mike Wazowski navigating the college frat system humored me deeply. 

Coco

I’m going to be so honest with you right here: I haven’t seen this movie. Which is partly why I’m including it on the list! I want to refer to what I’ve written here and be pressured to watch it in order to appease my self-guilt and not consider myself a fraud. Everyone I know who’s seen this one has only had amazing things to say about it. So Sam, get on it. And everyone else who’s reading this, you too, I guess. 

Marvel

Unfortunately, Black Panther and Thor: Ragnarok aren’t available for streaming yet, otherwise, they for sure would have made the list. Lucky for every other movie I’m including below. Seriously, those are in the elite tier of all Marvel movies ever. That being said, here are all my second choices (apart from Captain America: The Winter Soldier, which is equally as elite). If I sound bitter here, it’s because I am. Just when I thought Disney+ had it all… 

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I can’t hype this movie up enough. Sebastian Stan is unbelievably convincing as brainwashed assassin Bucky Barnes. The plot is well-done, and the action scenes are so fun to watch. 10/10 would recommend.  

Guardians of the Galaxy

If you enjoy a lot of humor amidst your punching and kicking, this is the movie for you. Plus, its soundtrack is killer. 

The Avengers

Ever since everything turned to chaos in Infinity War and Endgame, I’ve felt especially appreciative of this movie. I don’t think any Marvel movie can beat this one for me in terms of a medium-sized ensemble cast kicking ass. 

Captain Marvel

Yes, I haven’t watched this one either. No, I don’t want to talk about it. I’ve heard so many good things, so please watch it so that I don’t have to feel bad for endorsing something I haven’t seen. Thanks. 

Star Wars

I love Star Wars so so much. I’ve been watching the originals on repeat ever since I was really little, so I have an intense nostalgia and devotion toward these. Irreplaceable in the world of cinema and my heart. All unbearable cheesiness aside, my list for this one is pretty simple: All of them, except the prequels. Obviously. 

If you made it through my whole list (which I now realize takes the form of a bizarre and uneducated-seeming rant about a streaming service that I still haven’t really gotten the hang of), I appreciate you. I’m ending this article here, rather than including some general and chippy statement about the never-ending magic of Disney, so that you can get streaming. Go, go, go! That free trial is gonna expire before you know it. 

Feature, 1, 2, 34

Sam is a sophomore at Kenyon who wants to major in either English or psychology (or both!). In her free time, she loves writing poetry and watching movies and sports.
Jenny Nagel

Kenyon '20

Jenny is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior English and Psychology double major at Kenyon College, and in her free time she loves to sing, cuddle cats, and fangirl over musicals.