Couture Looks for When You Take Over the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Let’s pretend that you are a character in your favorite sci-fi/fantasy novel, and you’ve just inherited a kingdom. You are an inspirational leader who will not only defeat sexism, but also rule with the iron-first of a khaleesi. You’ve organized a powerful cabinet of do-gooders, a palace (or lair) with an amazing aesthetic, and an utterly, devastatingly, fantastically perfect plan to defeat the evils of the world. But, you need a wardrobe, don’t you? We’ve selected looks from numerous spring 2016 couture shows we think would best fit a powerful sci-fi sorcerer leader. Now, you can look amazing while also fighting threats — such as Donald Trump (because trolls like him should only exist in books, let’s be real).

Need a suit?

Russian designer Ulyana Sargeenko has got you covered. Whether fighting an army of evil Trump wigs or attending a meeting, you’ll slay in this ensemble. 

You’re a freaking sorcerer warrior.

Donatella Versace would certainly approve of anyone who wore this sleek piece to a state dinner (or perhaps around their own metal chateau…?). You could probably wear this look to the beach and people would stare — in the good way, of course.

Looking for something to wear to a meeting?

It would be best to choose something classic, yet edgy, and perfectly crafted to fit your pristine (and badass) reputation. Choose something like this: a sweet Peter Pan collar, but a sensual satin skirt and a harsh yet ladylike take on a cat-eye (very Chanel!). Honestly, just keep Karl Lagerfeld on speed dial, and then take over the world with him.

Being mild is not for you.

Couturier Giambattista Valli is known for ladylike silhouettes and floral patterns. A lovely aesthetic, but it’s not what you’re going for. No, you require something dark and interesting. Take a card from Valli’s couture show and sport this to a state dinner, or maybe to a secret meeting with your lover, whom you’re technically not supposed to be with (for plot devices, of course).

You slay, both in and out of parliament.

Choose something dramatic, sleek, and modern, like this look from Jean Paul Gaultier inspired by the late musician David Bowie. Pops of red and some flair will add perfectly to your sci-fi sorcerer queen aesthetic.  

Remember to stay warm.

During winter, it is terribly freezing where your lair/base/palace is located (like in Gambier during the winter). To walk from building to building requires something elegant and intimidating — so everyone else knows you’re the boss. Givenchy and its genius, Riccardo Tisci, will be the perfect choice to dress you, a fellow mastermind. Props if you make a dramatic entrance, and then throw your fur jacket to the side like a useless saltine. 

Good luck with taking over the world, one spell at a time! You now have some fabulous clothing inspiration for when you conquer everything around you.

Image credits: Vogue.com, giphy.com

Lindy is a current senior at Kenyon college majoring in Anthropology and Art History. She enjoys travel, books, cinema, art, food, and Scottish Whisky. Someday she hopes to travel around the world with a corgi named Max.